generater subpanel

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtite

my boss recently showed me a way to make a generaterpanel out of a regular subpanel by using a clip that ties into both 2pole breakers acting as the transfer swith so when the 2pole ocp from the utility side is on it makes the ocp from the generator inlet be in the off possition. previously we only used the small premaid generater panels with the wips already madeup ,and the amount of circuits is limited.with this method you have alot more circuits you can add. my quetion is when you are spiceing your circuits over to the subpanel do you have to splice over your nuetrals and if so would you have the nuetrals bonded to the panel like in a mdp. the one panel that i instaled in my house i did not tie in the nuetrals i left them in the main, the only trouble i can think of is that the ccc mite need the nuetrals to balance the loads out. and what would be the code with this instal

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
my boss recently showed me a way to make a generaterpanel out of a regular subpanel by using a clip that ties into both 2pole breakers acting as the transfer swith so when the 2pole ocp from the utility side is on it makes the ocp from the generator inlet be in the off possition.
It's called an Interlock kit.
my quetion is when you are spiceing your circuits over to the subpanel do you have to splice over your nuetrals
Yes

and if so would you have the nuetrals bonded to the panel like in a mdp.
No

the one panel that i instaled in my house i did not tie in the nuetrals i left them in the main, the only trouble i can think of is that the ccc mite need the nuetrals to balance the loads out. and what would be the code with this instal
You should go back and fix this. The inductive heating may not be that great, but it's still not a good install

Status
Not open for further replies.