Grounding and Lightning theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Current

I am working on a job where pretty much every piece of metal in the building has to be separately grounded. It got me thinking if they are not wanting anything to arc or any lighting to hit creating an explosion what about static? With all that grounding wouldn't there be a lot of static built up? I guess it depends on what materials the rest of the building is made of.

I was also thinking couldn't power company over ground everything to the point that there wouldn't be as many power outages caused by lightning?

stickboy1375

I am working on a job where pretty much every piece of metal in the building has to be separately grounded. It got me thinking if they are not wanting anything to arc or any lighting to hit creating an explosion what about static? With all that grounding wouldn't there be a lot of static built up? I guess it depends on what materials the rest of the building is made of.

I was also thinking couldn't power company over ground everything to the point that there wouldn't be as many power outages caused by lightning?

over ground something? you can't control lightning, its a force that does as it wants. We do what we can to try and eliminate the worst case scenario, and thats eliminate surface arcing, but beyond that... Thats what insurance is for. :)

Eddy Current

over ground something? you can't control lightning, its a force that does as it wants. We do what we can to try and eliminate the worst case scenario, and thats eliminate surface arcing, but beyond that... Thats what insurance is for. :)

Isnt there just one ground on light poles that runs down to the ground? Im not really sure but what are they connected to on the pole?

wirenut1980

To some extent lowering the ground resistance of a utility overhead circuit would help reduce flashovers. IMO it would help more to raise the BIL of the system at the poles, but there is only so much of that can be practically (economically) done as well. Lightning arrestors help at distribution voltage, but are not as practicle for transmission voltage circuits.

wirenut1980

Isnt there just one ground on light poles that runs down to the ground? Im not really sure but what are they connected to on the pole?

If there is equipment mounted on the pole like a transformer or lightning arrestor, there is usually a ground rod driven. If there is nothing mounted on the pole, then the ground wire is just wrapped up on the bottom of the pole (underground), commonly called a butt ground.:slaphead:

Status
Not open for further replies.