Ideas on how to reduce hotel electric bill (old mom and pop joint)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KVA

I have a customer that owns an old 40 unit hotel asked me to install one of those power saving devices:lol: He paid $250 for it I told him to send it back.

Anyway he rents to people that stay for extended periods of time months even years. All rooms have electric baseboard heat and I told him that is the bulk of your electric bill right there. His guests crank the heat to the max and go out to work during the day.

Is thier a thermostat line voltage that maxes out to like 72 degrees or 70? He tried lose lock boxes over the stats but he said people still mess with them.

He also has about 2 inches of insualtion above the rooms and I told him get more instulation up there like r19 at least.

So if he does the insulation and thermostats (if they are available) would that lower his electric bill dramatically? In my opinion it would.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I have a customer that owns an old 40 unit hotel asked me to install one of those power saving devices:lol: He paid $250 for it I told him to send it back.

Anyway he rents to people that stay for extended periods of time months even years. All rooms have electric baseboard heat and I told him that is the bulk of your electric bill right there. His guests crank the heat to the max and go out to work during the day.

Is thier a thermostat line voltage that maxes out to like 72 degrees or 70? He tried lose lock boxes over the stats but he said people still mess with them.

He also has about 2 inches of insualtion above the rooms and I told him get more instulation up there like r19 at least.

So if he does the insulation and thermostats (if they are available) would that lower his electric bill dramatically? In my opinion it would.

Just have a power outage from midnight till 0600 daily ....:lol:

iwire

Staff member

Most hotels are switching to occupancy sensors to control the HVAC.

Here are some examples, http://www.hvacsolutionsdirect.com/...Infrared-Motion-Sensors-Occupacy-Sensors.html

Where the baseboard is line voltage you might have to add a relay

bradleyelectric

Leviton has a "card reader" that works in that you put your door key in the slot next to the door when you walk in and it adjusts the heat to preset level, turns on light, and activates tv outlet. when card is not in slot it reduces thermastat and turns off designated power. They call the their hospitality package.

stevenje

Get rid of the vibrating beds. They just draw to much juice. :eek:hmy:

Status
Not open for further replies.