" inspectpa.com ", and seek the Forum......PM me if you cannot locate
it!......I'll try to do better on this esteemed Forum
:cool:

&

jumper already member, he fix link.:)

http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/member.php?289-jumper

maybe he go harass Chris K.;)

http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/forum.php

As far as your question IDK, the direct contact reference has got me. I want scream the NM is in a wet location, but.....:?

north star

IBC does not apply!......This is under the IRC, `06 Edition....Refer to Table E3701.4.
Knowing this, what would be your code based position?.....Please play along &
offer up a postion.

jumper

IBC does not apply!......This is under the IRC, `06 Edition....Refer to Table E3701.4.
Knowing this, what would be your code based position?.....Please play along &
offer up a postion.

Okay here is the table:

http://publicecodes.citation.com/icod/irc/2006f2/icod_irc_2006f2_37_sec001_par003.htm

The durn table is no help to me not wanting to allow the NM.:rant:

As it stands, I cannot say the install is illegal, but it does smell.....stupid vapor barrier.

Maybe sleep will help.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO, I would not loose sleep over nm in that situation however I would recommend that UF be used to avoid any possibility of condensation etc. I have said this before there is miles of nm in conduit outside and I have seen nm underground with no conduit for 25 years or so without any ill effect. The chances of the wire having a problem is small but why take a chance. One piece of uf is not a big deal.

I don't think you will find a clear answer in the NEC so as an inspector go with your gut. If you believe there is a chance of moisture then have it changed out. I don't know how perfect a sealed slab is esp. if there are penetrations.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree with that, I usually have a part roll of 12/2 in the truck for the occasional need of it even though I hate working with it.

A little THWN is not a big deal either and more likely to already be on my truck than some UF.

Cables usually pull harder through conduits than individual conductors. If the only purpose is a sleeve that is one thing but why not make it a complete raceway if there is much more than 10 feet, and not a straight drop down a wall or something similar? JMO.

iwire

Staff member
A little THWN is not a big deal either and more likely to already be on my truck than some UF.

Cables usually pull harder through conduits than individual conductors. If the only purpose is a sleeve that is one thing but why not make it a complete raceway if there is much more than 10 feet, and not a straight drop down a wall or something similar? JMO.

I assume most folks are talking about things like a residential kitchen island where it would be easier to use a cable from point to point than a conduit all the way.

The application is for a new single family dwelling......GFCI rated
conductors installed in a pvc raceway, going to a Kitchen Island,

Obviously you could run conduit all the way but in many case that will be more time and material.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Obviously you could run conduit all the way but in many case that will be more time and material.
More than that also-- it would mean locating the pipe exactly in the right spot and probably having to add a jb. Not a good idea. I will pull uf any day then try and do that.

north star

= = = = = = =

Thank you all for your input!......As always, I knew that a sensible,
compliant answer could be arrived at from the experts on here.
" UF " it is !
:thumbsup:

= = = = = = =

Status
Not open for further replies.