Cutler Hammer CH 15 amp GFCI breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I was unable to install a Eaton CH 15 AMP GFCI single pole breaker in the panel. It appears to me that the bottom of the breaker is somewhat different from the conventional breaker. I looks like the bottom of the breaker strikes against the plastic channel and prevents the breaker from seating properly. Has anyone had this problem or am I missing something? When installing a breaker I position the heal of the breaker on the retaining bar and rotate the front end onto the buss. Does this breaker install in a different manner?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I was unable to install a Eaton CH 15 AMP GFCI single pole breaker in the panel. It appears to me that the bottom of the breaker is somewhat different from the conventional breaker. I looks like the bottom of the breaker strikes against the plastic channel and prevents the breaker from seating properly. Has anyone had this problem or am I missing something? When installing a breaker I position the heal of the breaker on the retaining bar and rotate the front end onto the buss. Does this breaker install in a different manner?

What kind of panel are you trying to put it in?

norcal

Had trouble trying to put twins in an old CH panel .... had no idea they changed had to figure something else out

I was POed when C-H started making twin breakers for the CH type loadcenters, ( Did I say I hate twins :D ) there is a whole bunch of panels out there that were never intended for twins.

templdl

Had trouble trying to put twins in an old CH panel .... had no idea they changed had to figure something else out

Unless the panel is listed for twins the panel will be designed with a reject feature that will prevent you from installing them. Take a good look at that notched bar to the left and right away from the bus in the center and then look at the twin and compare it to a standard full size breaker. On the twin if you look closely at is there is a little metal piect that will no allow for you to lock the breaker onto that bar with the notches in it.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
30 year old

30 year old

It was a CH panel. Probably 30 plus years old. The existing breakers in the panel had small metal clips to secure the breaker to the panel. The new breaker had a molded plastic slot to secure to panel. I had a 15 amp single pole CH breaker on the truck. It snapped right in the panel--no problem. No success with the GFCI.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
some older CH panels had a "rejection" bar that prevented adding certain breakers (I don't recall the exacty details but have encountered the problem). You can normally see the bar as its held in by non-removable screws.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
It was a CH panel. Probably 30 plus years old. The existing breakers in the panel had small metal clips to secure the breaker to the panel. The new breaker had a molded plastic slot to secure to panel. I had a 15 amp single pole CH breaker on the truck. It snapped right in the panel--no problem. No success with the GFCI.
As far as I know the metal or plastic clip on a CH style breaker has only to do with how old it is. Both have worked for me in old panels.

I don't know why the GFI won't work for you. Try thinking nice thoughts when inserting it. If the breaker senses anger it will tense up like a cat held over a tub of water.

Gac66610

The problem I found was the newer CH breakers were not the same length as the older ones, had to take an old one out and compare ... there was a noticeable difference

was told about the CH non removable bar but did not see one

Greg1707 : Maybe you need to check the length of the breakers?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I recall reading somewhere that Cuttler/Hammer had a breaker that was supposed to be a "fit all" for several different panels. Does anyone know what type that is? I would think it would be called something other than BR or CH.

Gac66610

I recall reading somewhere that Cuttler/Hammer had a breaker that was supposed to be a "fit all" for several different panels. Does anyone know what type that is? I would think it would be called something other than BR or CH.

BR is the only other, that i know of

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
BR is the only other, that i know of

I remember a little more, I read it on a forum, but it might not have been this one. I recall someone saying they stocked that particular breaker on their truck to cover most applications they encountered. He said he had stopped trying to stock so many different breakers when C-H ?? would work.

norcal

some older CH panels had a "rejection" bar that prevented adding certain breakers (I don't recall the exacty details but have encountered the problem). You can normally see the bar as its held in by non-removable screws.

I took one out a couple of weeks ago, the bar is secured by "one-way" screws & they came out w/ ease, I did cut it & reinstall part of it to act as a main breaker retainer. It was a 100A all in one surface mount panel of 1960's vintage, house was built about 1947.

Zinsco of the same vintage, also had a bar to lock down breakers that was also secured w/ one-way screws.

Last edited:

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer

I think their CL line is the Classified Replacement series for many makers' 1" breakers (GE, Siemens, etc). They also have a line to replace SquareD QO types.

kwired

Electron manager
I think their CL line is the Classified Replacement series for many makers' 1" breakers (GE, Siemens, etc). They also have a line to replace SquareD QO types.

The BR series fits in most makes with 1 inch wide breakers. The CH series does not fit anything but CH panels and they are only 3/4 inch wide breakers. Closest thing that is similar is Square D's QO series but they are not close enough to even consider trying to interchange them. But someone has probably tried.

kwired

Electron manager
I believe that's what I remember reading, the CL line. Thanks!

Never heard of the CL line before, just looked them up. They are classified breakers and they do have versions that fit even in Square D's QO line as well as the common 1 inch type. Is likely the BR series with minor modifications, as well as what ever evalution and testing is required to be "UL classified". Then comes the argument of whether or not your AHJ will let you use "classified" breakers in a panel if the label on the panel does not mention the breaker you want to use in that particular panel. I have seen very few "classified" breakers and have installed exactly zero of them.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Never heard of the CL line before, just looked them up. They are classified breakers and they do have versions that fit even in Square D's QO line as well as the common 1 inch type. Is likely the BR series with minor modifications, as well as what ever evalution and testing is required to be "UL classified". Then comes the argument of whether or not your AHJ will let you use "classified" breakers in a panel if the label on the panel does not mention the breaker you want to use in that particular panel. I have seen very few "classified" breakers and have installed exactly zero of them.

I've "classified" my own in a pinch a few times. If it fits..........:angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.