Split Wired Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any 2011 NEC requirement stating that the top half of a split wired receptacle be hot all the time while the bottom half of the split wired receptacle be switch controlled?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the receptacle is installed to count as one required by the 6'/12' rule then yes one half must be unswitched. I believe that George wrote that code change.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with Trevor. If you switch the entire receptacle that is fine but then you must add another one to satisfy the placement required in 210.52

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This change was to the 2008 NEC. Here's George's proposal:

2-189 Log #1409 NEC-P02 Final Action: Accept in Principle
(210.52)
switched, provided uninterrupted receptacles are installed at the spacings
required by this section.
Substantiation: As this section is currently written, there is no prohibition
from allowing the required receptacles to be switched. A requirement that
constant power is required at the intervals specified in 210.52(A)(1), and (C)(1)
would add clarity to the existing text. It is generally perceived that this section
is to reduce the use of extension cords in residences. The prohibition of
switching required receptacles would further assure this reduction.
Panel Meeting Action: Accept in Principle
Panel Statement: The recommended action is accomplished through the panel
action on Proposal 2-190.
Number Eligible to Vote: 12
Ballot Results: Affirmative: 11 Negative: 1
Explanation of Negative:
BROWN, L.: Please see NAHB?s Ballot Comment on Proposal 2-190.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Is there any 2011 NEC requirement stating that the top half of a split wired receptacle be hot all the time while the bottom half of the split wired receptacle be switch controlled?

If the receptacle is installed to count as one required by the 6'/12' rule then yes one half must be unswitched. I believe that George wrote that code change.

I agree with Trevor. If you switch the entire receptacle that is fine but then you must add another one to satisfy the placement required in 210.52

I might be wrong but it sounds like the OP was asking if the code stated which half of the receptacle had to be switched.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the op was asking if the top or bottom needs to be switched then he probably didn't know about the switched outlet rule so it was not in vain. Of course it is if he hasn't been back to read this.

Split Wired Receptacles

I was aware of how splitting a receptacle might affect the code requirements for spacing (i.e. 6'/12').
My question revolved around a discussion with another electrician who said that when splitting
a duplex receptacle, the top half had to be hot all the time, while the bottom portion had to be switched.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I was aware of how splitting a receptacle might affect the code requirements for spacing (i.e. 6'/12').
My question revolved around a discussion with another electrician who said that when splitting
a duplex receptacle, the top half had to be hot all the time, while the bottom portion had to be switched.

Hand him the codebook and ask him to find a code section that has that requirement. Be prepared for a long wait. :D

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

I thought your OP was saying that. 480 and I have the same mind set. SCAREY!:p

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Design issue for sure. IMO if your going to plug in a table lamp, put the switched at the bottom. That way the constant hot is easier to access to plug in chargers and such.

(Ground down:blink::lol:)

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
If your 1/2 switched receptacle is more than five foot six inches off the floor, be sure the constant hot half is on the bottom, under 5'-6".

Status
Not open for further replies.