grounding electrode system

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbymari

just went to look at 8 meter/fuse upgrade job. all is going to be smooth except for grounding.
main cold water entry is on other side of concrete slab. ive ran into things like this in the past with different inspector opinions. am i good with 2 ground rods more than 6 ft apart and bonding nearest cold water line or must i be within first 5' of water entry thus breaking up lots of nice walkway and if so what is best metod for running gec through dirt?

jumper

just went to look at 8 meter/fuse upgrade job. all is going to be smooth except for grounding.
main cold water entry is on other side of concrete slab. ive ran into things like this in the past with different inspector opinions. am i good with 2 ground rods more than 6 ft apart and bonding nearest cold water line or must i be within first 5' of water entry thus breaking up lots of nice walkway and if so what is best metod for running gec through dirt?

Gotta be 5' if the water line qualifies as an electrode. 250.52(A)(1).

I would sleeve it in PVC.

bobbymari

250.53b doesnt this constitute the 2 rod system once you go down to 250.53d2 exception. to me that says 2 rods and tag the water line at any convieniant point

bobbymari

yes tthe water pipe eventually is in the building but entry point is on other side of a walkway thus ripping walkway would be necessary to hit it within 5'

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I don't have my codebook but you have use all electrodes present, if your waterline is one of the electrodes then you have to supplement it. If your extra electrode is a groundrod then you drive two. Dependiing on what is present you may not need to drive rods at all.

jumper

yes tthe water pipe eventually is in the building but entry point is on other side of a walkway thus ripping walkway would be necessary to hit it within 5'

I do not understand. How can it be in the building, but across a walkway? I am assuming an exterior walkway?

Where it enters a property is not important, but where it enters the building is.

Am I missing something?

bobbymari

ok now we are on the same page this is argument Ive had with inspectors, I to say its where it enters building. Some inspectors have said its where main water disconnect is which in this case would be accross walkway. This affects bid is why I bring it up.

bobbymari

im just gonna stick with the 250.52 a1 rule you mentioned earlier and let him prove it wrong. I know thats right, just wondering of other methods on tough scenarios.. thanks to the both of you. As far as the steel that was mentioned Im familiar with a new construction ufer but on an old apartment or multiplex what examples of steel could be utilized?

liquidtite

250.53b doesnt this constitute the 2 rod system once you go down to 250.53d2 exception. to me that says 2 rods and tag the water line at any convieniant point
if theirs no waterpipe present cant you get away with having two ground rods 6 ft apart and test to see your under the specific amount of ohms they ask for

Status
Not open for further replies.