increased AIC rating for dual line equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

starship2050

I'm relatively new in SoCal . I was presented a question that I have no idea what they're talking about. It was stated to me that some circuit breaker for a piece of dual line equipment was rated at 10KAIC and that it was insufficient that it had to be increased. Can anyone tell me what this is about?

zog

Sounds like the available fault current is > the AIC rating of the breaker, meaning the breaker is not capable of clearing a fault if it occurs. So you need a higher rated breaker to replace it (Or reduce your available fault current), this is pretty common, we gets calls just like this everyday.

templdl

Sounds like the available fault current is > the AIC rating of the breaker, meaning the breaker is not capable of clearing a fault if it occurs. So you need a higher rated breaker to replace it (Or reduce your available fault current), this is pretty common, we gets calls just like this everyday.

You could take a shot in the dark to see if the panel manufacturer has a breaker that can be installed upstream that would have a series rating woth the existing panel. You would most likey strike out but it's still worth a look.
Like Charlie B, I to would like for you to explain what "dual line equipment" is. We all have out little catch phrases or terms for diffent things in each one of our areas but I have never come across "dual line equipment" before.

Status
Not open for further replies.