Market prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Is there anything you used to be able to sell for a lot more but don't make so much on it now? Or vice versa, is there something that used to not sell for much but now it makes you lots of money?

chris1971

Residential service upgrades. Don't sell as much anymore and we never seem to make much doing them.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Is there anything you used to be able to sell for a lot more but don't make so much on it now? Or vice versa, is there something that used to not sell for much but now it makes you lots of money?

We used to be able to sell service changes in copper and RMC but not anymore because of the cost of both.

Whole house surge protection sells and it usually quick money.

satcom

Residential service upgrades. Don't sell as much anymore and we never seem to make much doing them.

That may be the case in your area, but around here the flat rate companies have taken over the service change market and are getting on aveage $3500 on a 200A service and the few of the old timers are still doing them for $900 to 1200, and still complaining they are not making money, so you will always see some making good money to support a business, and others giving away their work, and then we have the guys in the middle, the best of both worlds they have good paying full time jobs with good benifits, and moon lite service changes for a price somewhere in the middle range of $2K bottom line there is no one price for a service change.

Strife

Yeah,
I can't sell myself for as much as I used to do.
But I have a lot of #14, #6,#8, #4, #1/0, #3/0 Wire ( I figure 500-600 lbs combined) that I bought years ago for 1/4 of the price they go for now. It's a gold mine when I can use it.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Somewhat OT, but the title of the post reminded me of this.

I remember years ago the new company president of the place I worked announced a new pricing model for the company. He called it "Market Pricing".

Instead of figuring out what a specific project was going to cost by doing preliminary designs and BOMs, etc. the salesmen would just decide what the market price was and that was what the company would charge.

The sales people were quite happy with the new model.

You can imagine the end result.

The same guy made another announcement not long after to the effect that even though the new pricing model had caused us to start losing money on most projects, we would make it up in volume.

Shortly thereafter, the people that owned us announced a new company president.

peter d

We used to be able to sell service changes in copper and RMC but not anymore because of the cost of both.

Whole house surge protection sells and it usually quick money.

Why not do the opposite - charge a pipe and wire price but use SE cable. :thumbsup:

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
This :thumbsup: thing is starting irk me. It seems so sarcastic. When you use it are you trying to be agreeable and friendly or are you trying to prove that you know what you're talking about? I can't tell, I'm not trying to challenge anybody about it. I just want to know if it's a joke I should be laughing about.

peter d

I thought that was what everyone has been doing since the price of copper and steel went thru the roof,

SE cable services have always been the norm in my area for many decades now. The only thing that has really changed is the switch from cloth covered copper to thermoplastic aluminum SE cable.

stevenje

This :thumbsup: thing is starting irk me. It seems so sarcastic. When you use it are you trying to be agreeable and friendly or are you trying to prove that you know what you're talking about? I can't tell, I'm not trying to challenge anybody about it. I just want to know if it's a joke I should be laughing about.

Better a thumb than a middle finger! :jawdrop:

Status
Not open for further replies.