Code Ques.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
On the last Ques. of the bonding jumper size, I can't seem to find it Mikes work book? Maybe it was in
DVD'S that he talked about it.
Chap. 9,table 8 show's .173 for area of 3/0. .173x6=1.038. I did that step before I even posted the
thread. Now I am looking at this and saying to myself, I know what to do, but it is not comming to
me. I don't know why I have a mind block on this deal? When I went throught the DVD,S it worked.

Find the area of conductor in circular mills not overall area in square inches or mm. Get the total area of the combined six conductors and find the equivelant single conductor size in table 8. This equivelant single conductor size is what you will use when looking at 250.66, or will apply the 12.5% to if it goes larger than what is listed in 250.66.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I will fess up and admit that I did the same thing when I worked the problem the first time.:)

Test writers throw that stuff in on purpose to trip you up.

Yeah, and I should know that since I had to face those test writers not too awful long ago!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Yeah, I am on working on getting my MD state application accepted now.

Good luck!

I remember a question from the test. It was something like this:

In an area frequented by thunderstorms, how many TVSS devices are required for a 3? 240V system?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I remember a question from the test. It was something like this: In an area frequented by thunderstorms, how many TVSS devices are required for a 3? 240V system?
That is easy! None, because I would never want to live in such an area. :happysad:

Flight987

Code Ques.

Which of the folling are not permitted to identify a #6 AWG grounded conducter? (Select three answers).
A. A continuous white outer finish
B. A continuous gray finish with a blue trace in the manufacures identification braid
C. A continuousgray outer finish
D. Three continuous grey stripes on a blue conductor
E. Adistinctive white or grey marking at it's terminations encircling the conducter at
the time of installition
G.Three continuous white stripes on gree conductor
Answ. Key. D,F,G,
I confess, I came up with A,B,C,
How are they trying to confuss us on this one? Yes I did read it over before sendind this thread.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Which of the folling are not permitted to identify a #6 AWG grounded conducter? (Select three answers).
A. A continuous white outer finish
B. A continuous gray finish with a blue trace in the manufacures identification braid
C. A continuousgray outer finish
D. Three continuous grey stripes on a blue conductor
E. Adistinctive white or grey marking at it's terminations encircling the conducter at
the time of installition
G.Three continuous white stripes on gree conductor
Answ. Key. D,F,G,
I confess, I came up with A,B,C,
How are they trying to confuss us on this one? Yes I did read it over before sendind this thread.
I would say that you skipped over the word not in the question.

Flight987

Code Ques.

On page 6, there is Ques. about physical damage. Maybe I should start a new thread to the Ques.
No one seem's to respond to the Code Ques. What do you think?

Flight987

Code Ques.

What minimum size THW conductor is permitted to be tapped from a 400 Amp. feeder when the lenght of the tap conductor does not exceed ten feet? Key Answ. #8
Do I have this right? 240.21(B)(1)(4) 400/10=40 Amps.. Table 310.16, 75c, #10 at 35 Amps. and
#8 at 50Amps. Then it will be #8. Did I do that right.

Flight987

Code Ques.

A MLO, lighting and appliance panelboard, rated 100 amperes, is permitted by the NEC to be installed
on, and protected by a 200 ampere feeder. Key Answ. False, Ref.408.36
Thank's guy's for the help! I just get so caught up in trying to understand this.
I have had no Exp. on a MLO. I confess I don't know what it stand's for?
I have read 408.30 through 408.37. I understand the 408.34 (A) and (B).
Went to index and that bring's me to 408.35,408.36. Went enternet and typed in MLO
Panelboard's and Mike's page came up on one site. I see I am not alone on this.

jumper

A MLO, lighting and appliance panelboard, rated 100 amperes, is permitted by the NEC to be installed
on, and protected by a 200 ampere feeder. Key Answ. False, Ref.408.36
Thank's guy's for the help! I just get so caught up in trying to understand this.
I have had no Exp. on a MLO. I confess I don't know what it stand's for?
I have read 408.30 through 408.37. I understand the 408.34 (A) and (B).
Went to index and that bring's me to 408.35,408.36. Went enternet and typed in MLO
Panelboard's and Mike's page came up on one site. I see I am not alone on this.

Main Lug Only. No main breaker.

Flight987

To the MLO

To the MLO

I know that to be a Sub. Panel. If there is no main we need to use a overcurrent device to protect
the feeder's. On the 10' rule, how does the code come up with #8? If you look back at the ques.
did I do thing's right. I know Mike said on DVD's he will skip all of the tap rules because of the
lenght of them. But that the tap's will termate in incloser. Getting tired. Thank's for the help.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I know that to be a Sub. Panel. If there is no main we need to use a overcurrent device to protect
the feeder's. On the 10' rule, how does the code come up with #8? If you look back at the ques.
did I do thing's right. I know Mike said on DVD's he will skip all of the tap rules because of the
lenght of them. But that the tap's will termate in incloser. Getting tired. Thank's for the help.

:huh::?:blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.