PEX thru house....still jumper water heater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

220/221

Not much point in a jumper between hot/cold on a pex supplied h2o heater.

What could it possibly accomplish?

As I remember it, the rule for bonding piping was a little vague. If someone thought that any of the copper stubs may (were likely to?) become energized, they could ask you to bond all of them.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Not much point in a jumper between hot/cold on a pex supplied h2o heater.

What could it possibly accomplish?

As I remember it, the rule for bonding piping was a little vague. If someone thought that any of the copper stubs may (were likely to?) become energized, they could ask you to bond all of them.

Something like that, isolated sections of metal piping that are connected to an overall nonmetallic water pipin system are not subject to the requirements of 250.104(A). The isolated sections are not a metal water piping system.

Here's 680.74. If the requirement for all metal piping systems is a separate requirement then that would mean all metal piping systems within the structure which would require a metallic gas pipe to be bonded to the tub motor. Actually the two parts of the first sentence, all metal piping systems and all grounded metal parts are not separate requirements. Both of those thing relate to the circulating water system only not the water pipe used to fill the tub. Hopefully the wording will finally change in the 2014 NEC to clarify this.

Very interesting.....I would think that if the drain lines are metallic they would also qualify as having to be bonded. They do relate to the circulating water and would certainly be a "metal piping system".

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Very interesting.....I would think that if the drain lines are metallic they would also qualify as having to be bonded. They do relate to the circulating water and would certainly be a "metal piping system".

I would have to disagree. The drain lines do not have any function in circulating the water, they're used to drain the tub. :)

I would have to disagree. The drain lines do not have any function in circulating the water, they're used to drain the tub. :)

copy and pasted from your earlier post:

680.74 Bonding.
All metal piping systems and all grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water shall be bonded together using a solid copper bonding jumper, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG.

It doesn't say "any function in circulating the water". An all metal drain piping system certainly has "contact with the circulating water", as any water in the tub would be included.

In addition, have you ever watched a tub drain?? The water does circulate...:thumbsup::Dto the great amusement of my 3 year old!!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
copy and pasted from your earlier post:

680.74 Bonding.
All metal piping systems and all grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water shall be bonded together using a solid copper bonding jumper, insulated, covered, or bare, not smaller than 8 AWG.

It doesn't say "any function in circulating the water". An all metal drain piping system certainly has "contact with the circulating water", as any water in the tub would be included.

In addition, have you ever watched a tub drain?? The water does circulate...:thumbsup::Dto the great amusement of my 3 year old!!

Good point, but I'm guessing that there are fewer and fewer places where you would see a metallic piping system used for the drain. For the record, even though the wording doesn't support it, the concern here is bonding metallic systems that are used exclusively for the circulating water.

Status
Not open for further replies.