solar production meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarguyTN

I am new here and posted this in the wrong forum sorry if you have already seen this. In a dual metered system the production meter when wired according to design bonds the neutral ( grounded conductor ) to the ground. This would be in addition to the bond that already exists at the service disconnect. I and others that I know in the field have done this on several occasions and it is passing inspection. Whether it passes or not I do not believe that this is right. Keep in mind here in TN there are two scenarios that are possible and that is being wired to the line side of the utility meter or somewhere on the load side of the utility meter just according to the utilities preference.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
If the PV system is connected on the line side of the utility meter (or service disconnecting means), then presumably it is connected to it's own set of service entrance conductors (or even its own service) and thus needs a neutral-to-ground bond at its own meter or at the disconnecting means.

If the PV system is connected on the load side of a utility meter, then presumably there is a neutral-to-ground bond at the utility meter or the service disconnecting means, and thus it would be wrong to create another neutral-to-ground bond at the PV meter. (Objectionable current and all that...)

In other words, look to Art 230 and 250 as you normally would for services. The presence of a meter on the PV lines changes none of those requirements.

SolarguyTN

This was my take on it also but it is always nice to have another opinion that may see things from another angle. Unfortunately i suspect there are several installations that are wired with 2 points bonded in the system. Thank you for the input it is appreciated.

jaggedben

Occupation
Whenever I've installed a solar production meter (always load side), I've just run the neutral straight through the socket. Or spliced it.

iwire

Staff member
That's good to know. There are times other than solar that you need a meter with an isolated neutral.

Just make sure the socket you choose is ace potable to the power company.

Whenever I've installed a solar production meter (always load side), I've just run the neutral straight through the socket. Or spliced it.

Don't try that with 208 volt services, the meter would need the neutral to operate correctly.

jaggedben

Occupation
Don't try that with 208 volt services, the meter would need the neutral to operate correctly.

Thanks for pointing that out. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I've yet to install a production meter for a 3 phase solar system. The 3 phase systems I've worked on didn't require production metering. And not that I ever paid attention before, but they were all 3 wire inverters (no neutral) and too big to have used a self-contained meter in any case. :p

But with that said, I'm sure there is someone out there who needs a 7 terminal meter socket with an isolated neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.