Settle Our Dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

That is our arguement, now I am prepared for all the ridicule for making such a big deal out of something pretty minor.
IMO it's a debateable issue... so no ridicule from me :D

First, the use of drywall screws is not explicitly prohibited.

You have a valid point regarding their use in damp locations, so shall we open the arguement to include decking or similar exterior grade screws?

Galvanized steel equipment pretty much proves that zinc and steel are not considered dissimilar metals. So no points for that issue IMO.

iwire

Staff member
If an inspector was so inclined I can see them failing an 800 amp CT can held on with just #10 SMS using 300.11

300.11 Securing and Supporting.
(A) Secured in Place. Raceways, cable assemblies, boxes,
cabinets, and fittings shall be securely fastened in place.
Support wires that do not provide secure support shall not
be permitted as the sole support. Support wires and associated
fittings that provide secure support and that are installed
in addition to the ceiling grid support wires shall be
permitted as the sole support. Where independent support
wires are used, they shall be secured at both ends. Cables
and raceways shall not be supported by ceiling grids

To me securely fastened is a judgment call that only the AHJ inspector can decide.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Then take into account that drywall screws and normal, everyday emt one-hole straps are dissimilar metals, if an inspector wanted to, he could fail it and not in just basements.
My magnet says otherwise. drywall screw and EMT straps are not dissimilar metals. They are both steel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then take into account that drywall screws and normal, everyday emt one-hole straps are dissimilar metals, if an inspector wanted to, he could fail it and not in just basements.
My magnet says otherwise. drywall screw and EMT straps are not dissimilar metals. They are both steel.
Sometimes I don't take the time to research things on my own as much as I should...and I have to start doing that. Thanks for that clarification.

Last edited by a moderator:

GerryB

smart box

smart box

This seems like a popular thread. Anybody ever use a "smart box"? You know that box we all invented by cutting off the nails and driving a sheet rock screw through it? They come with two sheet rock screws in them. I have had sheet rock screws snap on me if you crank them to much. And just recently an inspector nit-pickeed about sheet rock screws in the panel so I changed them to deck screws.

cmreschke

In treated lumber you need to use galvanized screws,nails, and fasteners per the lumber manufacturers spec sheets. In regular untreated lumber regular drywall screws are suitable. They may break but so can a 1/4 20 under the wrong conditions just pay attention when your driving it.

In a "damp location" like a basement maybe you should consider exterior grade screws, better yet get stainless steel or yellow brass screws, they don't corrode. Or you could just drive a drywall screw and not worry about it. Chances are you will be long gone before they rust thru. Even lag bolts made of steel will rust away over time. I have not seen a basement damp enough to worry about it yet, having wired numerous houses on the lake shores with high water tables.

It's a house not a chemical plant.
For what its worth, do you worry about the device screws and or plate screws in said same environment as the drywall screws are being installed. Those may corrode first.

Last edited:

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Me: "Hey boss, I need some stainless screws for mounting these bell boxes on this deck. I think the inspector might come over and pull the covers and recepts out, and then we would fail inspection." (Dumb look)

Boss: "Get back over there, grab some drywall screws, and get that job done. We"ve got other stuff we have to get to."

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Me: "Hey boss, I need some stainless screws for mounting these bell boxes on this deck. I think the inspector might come over and pull the covers and recepts out, and then we would fail inspection." (Dumb look)

Boss: "Get back over there, grab some drywall screws, and get that job done. We"ve got other stuff we have to get to."

Inspector: "You wanna pull the cover off of that box over there for me?":slaphead:

97catintenn

Here is where this may be coming from. Apparently certain nails have an issue with the pressure treated wood and have known to corrode when driven into a concrete floor thru the PT wood. I have seen builders get turned down for this but that is a far cry from a screw into wood. I do not see an issue.

Yep, unless your screw, bolt, or nail is 1/2" or greater in diameter...it has to be galvanized, stainless or copper...

But, this is for securing the wood in place. I can't find anything saying that every screw for everything has to be galvanized. Like securing conduit or hanging a picture.

International Residential Code 2009

R317.3.1 Fasteners for preservative-treated wood. Fasteners
for preservative-treated wood shall be of hot dipped
zinc-coated galvanized steel, stainless steel, silicon bronze
or copper
. Coating types and weights for connectors in contact
with preservative-treated wood shall be in accordance
with the connector manufacturer's recommendations. In the
absence of manufacturer's recommendations, a minimum
ofASTM A 653 type G185 zinc-coated galvanized steel, or
equivalent, shall be used.
Exceptions:
1. One-half-inch (12.7 mm) diameter or greater steel
bolts.

2. Fasteners other than nails and timber rivets shall be
permitted to be of mechanically deposited zinc
coated steel with coating weights in accordance
with ASTM B 695, Class 55 minimum.

97catintenn

Are you saying it is legal to mount bell boxes outside with regular drywall screws? If you really are saying that, then you should check out 300.6

Well then, that should also cover securing it to concrete, block, brick, and pressure treated lumber even if it is inside the structure in a dry location.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
If an inspector was so inclined I can see them failing an 800 amp CT can held on with just #10 SMS using 300.11

To me securely fastened is a judgment call that only the AHJ inspector can decide.

For the record, I didn't mean major mounting like that, I was referring to small cans such as panels - but I get your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.