A splice made in an LB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey all,
im studying for my masters test and came across article 314.5 which explains that short-radius conduit bodies enclosing 6 AWG conductors or smaller can not contain splices. Is an LB an example of a short-radius conduit body? i assume it is but i had thought that it was ok to make a splice as long as you dont exceed the volume of the conduit body. AN example of something i had done in the past is splicing two 14-2 UF wires in a 1-inch LB since it doesnt exceed the volume of the LB. so was that a code violation i made? thanks in advance for your responses

jumper

hey all,
im studying for my masters test and came across article 314.5 which explains that short-radius conduit bodies enclosing 6 AWG conductors or smaller can not contain splices. Is an LB an example of a short-radius conduit body? i assume it is but i had thought that it was ok to make a splice as long as you dont exceed the volume of the conduit body. AN example of something i had done in the past is splicing two 14-2 UF wires in a 1-inch LB since it doesnt exceed the volume of the LB. so was that a code violation i made? thanks in advance for your responses

Are you referring to 314.16(C)(3)? These are not LBs.

(3) Short Radius Conduit Bodies. Conduit bodies such as
capped elbows and service-entrance elbows that enclose
conductors 6 AWG or smaller, and are only intended to
enable the installation of the raceway and the contained
conductors, shall not contain splices, taps, or devices and
shall be of sufficient size to provide free space for all conductors
enclosed in the conduit body.

Are you referring to 314.16(C)(3)? These are not LBs.

(3) Short Radius Conduit Bodies. Conduit bodies such as
capped elbows and service-entrance elbows that enclose
conductors 6 AWG or smaller, and are only intended to
enable the installation of the raceway and the contained
conductors, shall not contain splices, taps, or devices and
shall be of sufficient size to provide free space for all conductors
enclosed in the conduit body.

yes that is the article, but i read it out of the 2008 NEC and its 314.5 in that book. sorry, i shoulda specified that

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
I have never looked inside of an SLB to see if it had a volume marked. They are small enough that they can be a bugger to just get the wires in.:)

DARUSA

If the LB is market with the cubic inch and you follow the fill calculation I see no problem but if it doesn't have it., I will say that you cannot make any splice inside!!!

PVC LB's do have their volume stamped on them and it sounds like they are not what are considered short-radius conduit bodies. i think they are referred to as condulets in the NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.