480V temporary question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilltop

Code does not specify what kind of cable is allowed..only that it be protected from physical damage for temporary situations.
480V-100A 3 phase needed.
With the price of cable I was looking at running 250' of 350MCM AL single conductors/1AWG grnd/$0.70/ft. through hallways which will have little traffic during a tempoprary situation [couple of hours].
SER is runing at $4.00 per ft., would Triplex be acceptable?
I could sleeve any questionable areas with interduct....

We will only need this setup for approx. 1 Hr. during a scheduled shutdown.

Just looking for some advice..I want to be safe but also keep costs at a minimum with the distance of cabling needed.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Code does not specify what kind of cable is allowed..only that it be protected from physical damage for temporary situations.
With the price of cable I was looking at running 250' of 350MCM AL single conductors/1AWG grnd/$0.70/ft. through hallways which will have little traffic during a tempoprary situation [couple of hours].

Just looking for some advice..I want to be safe but also keep costs at a minimum with the distance of cabling needed.

Can you get a generator to the load?
Could save a lot of cable....

hilltop

generator repy

generator repy

Generator would be about the same distance...load that needs to be fed is in the middle of the building...

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

When I've done temps like this we just rent type W cable w/Camlock connectors. It's safe, easy and reliable.

hilltop

Another thought

Another thought

The company I work for would like to have the temp. wire on hand for EM situations...we have 6 seperate services in the building. If we loose one we can keep critical things running...

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I always say and I'm not sure how many people get it, but electricity doesn't know it's temporary.

That being said, I like the cable idea, that's what it's designed for. If you have frequent issues you could put a connector at each service and then when needed simply connect to it.

hilltop

Wish I had a blank check! :roll:
I checked in to the Type W cable. They have 4/0 CU, each cable is individual. For 250' plus pigtails would run about $600.00 for a week to rent...not bad....I forgot to ask them what size opening I will need to put in my 480V panel to accommodate the size of 4-4/0 Type W conductors...I did not find type W in the code book...do you think it be safe to go with a cross referrence of THWN 4/0?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
The company I work for would like to have the temp. wire on hand for EM situations...we have 6 seperate services in the building. If we loose one we can keep critical things running...

If you are interested in the type W and CamLock idea and need help in sourcing it for rent or purchase send me a PM. This is expensive stuff, but a good investment. You have to go to the right source for this for good pricing as it is a real specialty.

Status
Not open for further replies.