AFCI / Smoke Det

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbakelis

New local codes are requiring hardwired smoke detectors even when I'm doing a kitchen electrical remodel. My question is do I have to run a dedicated AFCi circuit or can I just tap into a bedroom circuit and put an AFCI breaker on that circuit. In new construction I usually do a dedicated circuit but with a kitchen remodel, seems unreasonable.

B4T

Running a separate circuit for smoke detectors is a waste of money and you gain nothing.. unless you don't mind losing $150.00 :happyno:

I always feed my smokes and CO detector from a hall lighting circuit..

renosteinke

The 'dedicated circuit' for the smoke alarms is an interesting 'catch-22.'

When the NEC began requiring that all the smokes be hard-wired AND communicate with each other, about the only practical way to do that was to have them on the same circuit, and run an extra wire for 'communication.'

The problem was that the IRC - remember how I am always saying you need to know more than just the NEC? - anyway, the 'International Residential Code,' which is the basic 'building code' - specifically forbade such an arrangement, instead specifying that every detector take its' power from a circuit serving the area protected by that detector.

The most recent edition of the IRC does not contain this requirement, so a common circuit should be fine.

Don't forget that 'communication' requirement.

peter d

Running a separate circuit for smoke detectors is a waste of money and you gain nothing.. unless you don't mind losing $150.00 :happyno:

I always feed my smokes and CO detector from a hall lighting circuit..

You run a separate circuit for hall lighting? :? Why not just come off of bedroom circuit?

Gac66610

Running a separate circuit for smoke detectors is a waste of money and you gain nothing.. unless you don't mind losing $150.00 :happyno: ....

until the home owners want to install an attic fan, on a split level home with everything under it finished no way to access it without going outside the home.

i'll keep my smoke dect. on a dedicated circuit, they "chirp" like a lil bird when there is power loss.

$150.00? no wonder im so busy:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.