Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ballast problem

Ballast problem

I have a commercial customer who has a gym with F96T12 2 lamp fixtures in it. We replaced all the lamps with F96 T 12 DX Alto lamps ( commonly called daylight) and the old magnetic ballasts started going out. We replaced them with the new electronic ballasts and they are burning out. We checked our voltage and had 110v-113v. Will the electronic ballasts not operate on the lower voltage like the magnetic ballasts or do I need to look for another problem?
    A man needs to know his limitations

What brand are the ballasts??

What brand are the ballasts?? I am not fond of the "venture" brand.

The ballasts are Phillips Advance.
    A man needs to know his limitations

What is the nameplate voltage range of the ballasts? If you are withing that range, perhaps the ballasts are bad.

RC
    It's my name going on that drawing, not yours. If what you want ain't right, it ain't going on the drawings!

Seems to me that if the ballast is rated for 120 volts, it should be designed for 10% variance high or low. Main difference I've seen between magnetic and electronic ballasts is if they are remotely located. You can mount a magnetic ballast 100 feet from the fixture and it will work, whereas a lot of electronic ballasts won't work unless at the fixture.
    How about fixture kits with 4 lamp electronic ballasts and 4 T8 lamps...more light output for a lot less energy. Also, not that expensive and quick to do.
    Jim Barber
    Mostly Commercial

Is there a difference in lamp wattages?
    I have noticed putting say a 32 watt bulb in a fixture that has been running 40 watt bulbs tend to cause ballast issues even though the ballast says it is rated for either.

Are you still using the alto t-12 lamps?

Wait, is this one of those new T12 retrofit electronic ballasts that's MADE for T12 bulbs or straight up electronic ballast?

Does the lamp type being used match lamp types supported by the ballast?

Keep in mind T12 lamps will sometime disappear, or at least become more difficult to come up with.

Ballasts are a common issue. Maybe one of our resident professors could write up a ballast check list to become a future sticky under lighting?
    You make the lights come on and we make them go off.