2008 nec load side of service

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpy11

does the conduit running from a load side of a service switch have to be bonded {emt}

does an egc have to be installed in the conduit.

grumpy11

2008 nec load side of service switch

250.92 i say yes conduit from load side of service switch must be bonded .

a bonding locknut can be used instead of a bonding bushing.

250.64 is for gec not egc.

emt is a good effective ground fault path so an egc does not have to be installed.

grumpy11

why do you think engineers call for a egc in a conduit installation

hurk27

Ok guys the OP question was about the load side of the service (after the main) and 250.92 is ahead of the service disconnect (service entrance conductors)

I'm not seeing any special bonding requirements other then lock nuts??
Am I missing something?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Ok guys the OP question was about the load side of the service (after the main) and 250.92 is ahead of the service disconnect (service entrance conductors)

I'm not seeing any special bonding requirements other then lock nuts??
Am I missing something?

Not in the code, but in the OP's case I say its required based on post #8 comment, "why do you think engineers call for a egc in a conduit installation" If its on the plans it is required.

renosteinke

Sometimes I'm strident in my posts, because I'm certain.

Sometimes I am casual, because I want to keep things relaxed.

And, sometimes, I'm fuzzy, because I'm only 'feeling' but don't really 'know.' This is one of those times. For the OP, I have a definite opinion, but I know not from where I get the "authority." Maybe others can find citations, or clarify what I say that is actual code, as opposed to 'good practice.'

Now, to the OP's question ...

As I understand it, everything between the meter and the first overload device needs to be 'bonded;' that is, to use bonding bushings and the like, in addition to the usual bond formed by simple metal connections. If you are using a 'meter/main,' you woulndn't need to worry about this - but if you just have a meter base, a separate disconnect, and a main breaker in the panel, all that stuff in the middle gets 'extra' bonding.

Also, as I understand things, you only get to use conduit as your ground (egc) for branch circuits; feeders need a ground wire. As an example, the circuit feeding a 100-amp (sub) panel needs a ground wire, while the circuit feeding a 100-amp motor (starter) does not.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Sometimes I'm strident in my posts, because I'm certain.

Sometimes I am casual, because I want to keep things relaxed.

And, sometimes, I'm fuzzy, because I'm only 'feeling' but don't really 'know.' This is one of those times. For the OP, I have a definite opinion, but I know not from where I get the "authority." Maybe others can find citations, or clarify what I say that is actual code, as opposed to 'good practice.'

Now, to the OP's question ...

As I understand it, everything between the meter and the first overload device needs to be 'bonded;' that is, to use bonding bushings and the like, in addition to the usual bond formed by simple metal connections. If you are using a 'meter/main,' you woulndn't need to worry about this - but if you just have a meter base, a separate disconnect, and a main breaker in the panel, all that stuff in the middle gets 'extra' bonding.

Also, as I understand things, you only get to use conduit as your ground (egc) for branch circuits; feeders need a ground wire. As an example, the circuit feeding a 100-amp (sub) panel needs a ground wire, while the circuit feeding a 100-amp motor (starter) does not.

I guess it partially depends on where in the system you bond the Neutral/ground, if you bond it in the meter socket (not allowed in my area) or at the Main disconnect. If you bond it at the main disconnect I say there is no need for a "wire" to be run as a bonding method. Now it you bond in the meter socket, I think you have an arguement, that you need to run an EGC in the conduit.

jumper

I am about 99% sure general feeders installed using any EGC method in 250.118 are compliant.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
...Also, as I understand things, you only get to use conduit as your ground (egc) for branch circuits; feeders need a ground wire. As an example, the circuit feeding a 100-amp (sub) panel needs a ground wire, while the circuit feeding a 100-amp motor (starter) does not.
Code section????

liquidtite

250.92 i say yes conduit from load side of service switch must be bonded .

a bonding locknut can be used instead of a bonding bushing.

250.64 is for gec not egc.

emt is a good effective ground fault path so an egc does not have to be installed.
true but dosnt the use of a bonding bushing also depend on if you use all of the syntrics or not

liquidtite

250.92 i say yes conduit from load side of service switch must be bonded . <br>
<br>
a bonding locknut can be used instead of a bonding bushing.<br>
<br>
<br>
250.64 is for gec not egc. <br>
<br>

liquidtite

ok i see well lewts say if it is 120/240 and you dont use all the syntrics on the service equiptment dont you have to use a bonding bushing and a bonding locknut

Status
Not open for further replies.