Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exam Questions

For question #1, it seems to me that if you are "under" a vault, then you are in dirt. So the question does not make sense.

For question #2, I would look for an answer along the lines of "leakage current."

For question #3, my guess would be to reduce the effect of any surrounding magnetic fields on the signals going through the conductors that are surrounded by the coating.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2008 NEC unless otherwise noted.

When I took the Wisconsin Master Electrician test we had to have a copy of the NEC as well as our Wisconsin commerce dept additions to the NEC or Comm 16. Out of the 50 questions there where at least four from the Comm 16 code addition. Maybe your state has thier own additions.

Quote Originally Posted by jer morgan View Post
    I recently took a journeyman exam in NM. There were a few questions I couldn't find answers to if anybody could help that be great.

1- Wire splices under vaults need to be supported at how many inches on either side of splice. 2 4 5 6 I have never heard of splices under vaults.

2- Scratches and minor defects in wire cause what? Resistance, voltage drop and I don't remember the other two options.

3- What is the primary function of the metal coating on underground communication cable?
    I recently had to replace a300 ft run to an office trailer due to corrosion on underground AL wire obvious scrathes nicks in wire caused wire to corrode down to its last strands
    sometimes eliminating the obvious wrong answers is easier than knowing the answer to the question.
    Democracy
    5 wolves and a lamb voting what to have for dinner

Quote Originally Posted by normbac View Post
    I recently had to replace a300 ft run to an office trailer due to corrosion on underground AL wire obvious scrathes nicks in wire caused wire to corrode down to its last strands
    sometimes eliminating the obvious wrong answers is easier than knowing the answer to the question.
    If you have one spot that was damaged, it is less cost to repair that spot - assuming you have a fault locator to find the right spot.

If you have multiple bad spots someone either handled that conductor very poorly before installing or you have a rodent problem and need to install it in a raceway.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    If you have one spot that was damaged, it is less cost to repair that spot - assuming you have a fault locator to find the right spot.

If you have multiple bad spots someone either handled that conductor very poorly before installing or you have a rodent problem and need to install it in a raceway.
    it was in 2 in pvc one spot corroded though 50 ft in but the owners decided they wanted all wires replaced new from main servise to office trailer. looked liked they pulled it with a rock in the cinduit.
    Democracy
    5 wolves and a lamb voting what to have for dinner