Movable island

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gac66610

Getting ready to trim out a house that has a "movable island" it will not be fastened in place

it also has four legs similar to a claw bathtub

I know the requirements for islands but they are normally stationary, is there a code section i can read or another option?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Then it can be moved to the laundry to fold clothes on. Then to the garage to sort nuts and bolts before returning to the kitchen for breakfast.

Never sort nuts and bolts before a good breakfast. Who folds laundry now days, to busy, wash and wear if I have time I may dry the cloths before wearing them.

kwired

Electron manager
NEC does not require any receptacles in this (furniture as others have mentioned).

NEC would not prohibit installing a floor receptacle to plug wiring on this furniture into, or having a pendant receptacle over area it is used at, if that is what is desired. Since it is not a countertop GFCI is not required but is not prohibited. AFCI protection requirements will depend on which room the outlet is actually in.

G0049

Not so fast

Not so fast

...Then to the garage to sort nuts and bolts before returning to the kitchen...

Whoa, Dude. Once something gets to my garage, it's mine. If my wife still wants one in the kitchen, let her go get another. Besides, once I've sorted my nut & bolt collection on it, I'll rebuild some greasy old car part on it and she won't want it back.;););)

Gac66610

NEC does not require any receptacles in this (furniture as others have mentioned).

NEC would not prohibit installing a floor receptacle to plug wiring on this furniture into, or having a pendant receptacle over area it is used at, if that is what is desired. Since it is not a countertop GFCI is not required but is not prohibited. AFCI protection requirements will depend on which room the outlet is actually in.

had thought of floor receptacle,but i'm being pinched for every dime so not likely to happen

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
had thought of floor receptacle,but i'm being pinched for every dime so not likely to happen

Thats to bad for the HO, it seems they never have an extra dollar for basic items that would be good for them in the long term, such as a floor outlet for the portable island, but they will find an extra 10K for that marble counter and wolf range.

Gac66610

Thats to bad for the HO, it seems they never have an extra dollar for basic items that would be good for them in the long term, such as a floor outlet for the portable island, but they will find an extra 10K for that marble counter and wolf range.

and i try to tell them its easier to change the counter tops (or floor covering) than it is to add electrical later (in most cases)
but, they want what the can see ...... not use

ceb58

Whoa, Dude. Once something gets to my garage, it's mine. If my wife still wants one in the kitchen, let her go get another. Besides, once I've sorted my nut & bolt collection on it, I'll rebuild some greasy old car part on it and she won't want it back.;););)

A buddy of mine, wife came home to a dishwasher full of motorcycle parts. She was not a happy camper :rant:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
A buddy of mine, wife came home to a dishwasher full of motorcycle parts. She was not a happy camper :rant:

We have the same issue. If i wash my drop cloths in our washer, then the washer "is now dirty and the clothes that go in to get washed are not as clean" :rant:

But if I wash my drop cloths and remove them before my wife notices, then its no problem. :?:? I don't and I will never understand.

kwired

Electron manager
We have the same issue. If i wash my drop cloths in our washer, then the washer "is now dirty and the clothes that go in to get washed are not as clean" :rant:

But if I wash my drop cloths and remove them before my wife notices, then its no problem. :?:? I don't and I will never understand.

Yet it is OK to wash your clothes that may have been soiled with same thing in it right?

Some people would never buy things (and I mean almost anything) again if they only knew how they were previously handled, processed, or what they are made out of. Even natural items can be kind of disgusting to some people if they know the whole story behind them.

A big thing in more recent years is germs, bacteria, etc. People go nuts over using antibacterial soaps, and sanitizing everything imaginable. They don't realize they are also killing bacteria that is useful or necessary and they are just as sick or worse than if they didn't have an obsession with antibacterial products. Cleaning after certain activity where it is common to come into contact with harmful bacteria is alright, but not constantly using these products.

( I know - sorry to get even further off topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.