is there a receptical # limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gac66610

Don.t know of any, or even local amendments
I try not to put more than 4 on 1 circuit

IMO the there are 2 areas in a resi. that require the most (load wise) Kitchens, and Bathrooms

stickboy1375

Don.t know of any, or even local amendments
I try not to put more than 4 on 1 circuit

IMO the there are 2 areas in a resi. that require the most (load wise) Kitchens, and Bathrooms

It's not the amount of receptacles on a circuit that matters, but the placement of circuits for receptacles that matters...

FWIW, i only install two branch circuits in most kitchens... personally, I would just use 14 AWG if the NEC wasn't a design manual, I mean safety issue....

Gac66610

You are limited by the amount of available wall space. I suspect, depending on the square footage of wall space and accounting for cabinetry, you will likely max out at roughly 62 receptacles.

max out with the limited space or put 62 receptacles on one 20a BC?

jumper

Dang big kitchen!

Seriously, you would load your 20A breaker at 16amps max, or the 80% rule. Get the idea from there on how many you can install.

Residential kitchen receptacles are considered non continuous and the 180VA rule does not apply.

This is the section that defines the loading of the breaker.

210.20 Overcurrent Protection. Branch-circuit conductors
and equipment shall be protected by overcurrent protective
devices that have a rating or setting that complies
with 210.20(A) through (D).
(A) Continuous and Noncontinuous Loads. Where a
branch circuit supplies continuous loads or any combination
of continuous and noncontinuous loads, the rating
of the overcurrent device shall not be less than the noncontinuous
load plus 125 percent of the continuous load.

topgone

Residential kitchen receptacles are considered non continuous and the 180VA rule does not apply.

This is the section that defines the loading of the breaker.

210.20 Overcurrent Protection. Branch-circuit conductors
and equipment shall be protected by overcurrent protective
devices that have a rating or setting that complies
with 210.20(A) through (D).
(A) Continuous and Noncontinuous Loads. Where a
branch circuit supplies continuous loads or any combination
of continuous and noncontinuous loads, the rating
of the overcurrent device shall not be less than the noncontinuous
load plus 125 percent of the continuous load.

Receptacle. A receptacle is a contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of an attachment plug. A single receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke. A multiple receptacle is two or more contact devices on the same yoke.​

Given an overcurrent protective device (20A), you will build your down line equipment based on that given capacity or limit. Else, you don't get those things safely sized. Doing things this way, a specifier is pessimistic enough by usually using the 80% rule to cover his/her ass should owners expand their loads. If that happens, then you go to the codes if such load growth is within safe limits. Or you will have to be pulling-in new wires for those load expansions.

iwire

Staff member
Else, you don't get those things safely sized. Doing things this way, a specifier is pessimistic enough by usually using the 80% rule to cover his/her ass should owners expand their loads. If that happens, then you go to the codes if such load growth is within safe limits. Or you will have to be pulling-in new wires for those load expansions.

80% of what?

A receptacle is not a load.

If you have a kitchen counter with 5 duplex receptacles or the same counter with 50 duplex receptacles the load is the same.

jumper

Receptacle. A receptacle is a contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of an attachment plug. A single receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke. A multiple receptacle is two or more contact devices on the same yoke.​

Given an overcurrent protective device (20A), you will build your down line equipment based on that given capacity or limit. Else, you don't get those things safely sized. Doing things this way, a specifier is pessimistic enough by usually using the 80% rule to cover his/her ass should owners expand their loads. If that happens, then you go to the codes if such load growth is within safe limits. Or you will have to be pulling-in new wires for those load expansions.

You are losing me. Cite code sections please.

We were talking about breakers or so I thought, but if you are talking about this:

210.21(B)(2) Total Cord-and-Plug-Connected Load. Where connected
to a branch circuit supplying two or more receptacles
or outlets, a receptacle shall not supply a total cord-and-plug connected
load in excess of the maximum specified in Table
210.21(B)(2).

That merely says a single receptacle on such a circuit, multiple receptacles, can only be loaded to 80% for a cord connected load according to the table. The branch circuit is not automatically corrected to total 80% ampacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.