In ground pool help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkyjpb

Here's the details. Inground vinyl liner pool with metal walls. Pool deck will be poured concrete. Concrete guy lays wire mesh grid to be under deck. What are my bonding requirements? The changes lately and the wording in the code confuse me.
In the past we ran #8 bare solid around the pool, bonded to the mesh in 4 spots equally located around pool, hit the pool frame with a lug in 1 location, ladder and rail cups, and back to equipment pad (pump, heater). We would do this in one continuous piece. We've never been failed on it, but my question is are we over doing it in any way? Just looking to decrease time and materials if it is possible. Thanks guys

ritelec

In the past we ran #8 bare solid around the pool, bonded to the mesh in 4 spots equally located around pool, hit the pool frame with a lug in 1 location, ladder and rail cups, and back to equipment pad (pump, heater). We would do this in one continuous piece. We've never been failed on it, but my question is are we over doing it in any way? Just looking to decrease time and materials if it is possible. Thanks guys

I believe you are on the money with the install. (except it does not have to be continuous).
Probably to decrease time and material would be to have someone else do it........:D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A picture is worth a thousand words.

1100723312_2.jpg

sparkyjpb

So with this mesh all around the deck, do I need to run my #8 all the way around the pool? Being a metal pool, do I only have to be bond it in one spot or four? Bond the mesh in one or four spot?
Thanks for the speedy input so far.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
IMO, the metal liner needs bonding and the perimeter surface requires it also. I would also bond the mesh to the equipotential bond. I also think the pool needs bonding at 4 points since it has the metal outer wall.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Many here run the #8 regardless, but my read on 680.26 is that it is not need if you have structural reinforcing steel.
Locally, the metal grid is ties in a manner to assure continuity and a #8 is used to connect it to the frame at 4 points with a #8 used to connect to all required bond spots.
The pool guys here seem to feel it's easier just to run a #8 around the pool perimeter anyway.

sparkyjpb

Many here run the #8 regardless, but my read on 680.26 is that it is not need if you have structural reinforcing steel.
Locally, the metal grid is ties in a manner to assure continuity and a #8 is used to connect it to the frame at 4 points with a #8 used to connect to all required bond spots.
The pool guys here seem to feel it's easier just to run a #8 around the pool perimeter anyway.

I read it that way too, that with the wire mesh I wouldn't need to run around the pool. That section just isn't clear enough for me.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
It seems to me the wire mesh would do a better job then the #8 copper or at least as good a job. The mesh still needs to be bonded.

tommyrice

you could use the metal wall as the common grid and bond all cups,ladders,pump,mesh(in 4 spots)to it.no need to run #8 around pool perimeter.imo

sparkyjpb

Thanks for the help everyone. What we did was mount 4 lugs on the pool (equally spaced around) with a couple feet of #8 copper from each to the mesh. In 2 of those locations we left a few more feet to reach the cups for the ladder and the rail. Then from one of the other lugs, we also ran back to the equipment pad. AOk from inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.