SERVICE RATED GUTTER ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming from a Utility Terminal Can 48x48x11 to bottom feed 800 amp Main switch. 120/208 3Ph. TC is located 90deg adjacent wall to MS. Connecting (assumed 6x6x6 gutter) to right 1/3 bottom portion of TC can w/ 3-3.5" RMC nipples to top of gutter to enter bottom of main switch with 3-3.5" nipples.

Picture a gutter put together in an L configuration approximately 5' total length the bottom of MS 12" from the top of the gutter with 3-sets of parallel 350 MCM XHHW AL "Hots" / one each 250MCM neutral conductors. De-rating considered in the gutter.

Will 6x6x6 be big enough for all 12 conductors ?

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That does not exceed 20% fill, but I would not use that small of a wireway. There are less than 30 current carrying conductors so derating is not required.

Last edited:
Ah yes, the bending radius. I will need to look at that for 350 mcm. Around the corner and through the nipples.

Thanks guys.
;)

I would try to go with a 12 X 12 and I might even use just one 4" nipple on the disconnect end. Especially if it is a fused switch or a breaker that can't be bottom fed.

The MAIN SW is bottom feed only Per Mnfr. I have seen some entered higher up on the side (SIEMENS 800 SW) which I thought looked very odd but there was room for all the conductors to bend around and into the switch. I would use CH gear so I will go by the book.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.