Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rental fee for temp power

Rental fee for temp power

We received a request to set a temp power meter/panel for a new home. We will not be wiring the new home. We will pull a permit for it, set it in place and remove it for a set price. What is the going monthly rental fee rate for the use of the temp power panel? Thanks in advance!

Most of the cost is in the labor to install it and remove it. Personally, I would just charge them whatever you would normally charge for the labor and the cost of the parts.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    Most of the cost is in the labor to install it and remove it. Personally, I would just charge them whatever you would normally charge for the labor and the cost of the parts.
    That would really be a bad business plan.

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    unless the OP has a lot of this type of business he is not going to get to reuse the parts. it seems silly to lose money on a one up type of proposition.

it will cost him a certain amount of money for the labor and some for the parts. why would you want to charge less than what it costs? More would be OK.

he might be able to rent the parts like people rent fences. if so he can charge accordingly.

it seems to me if this was anything the OP did on any regular basis he would not be on an Internet forum asking how much to charge. that is why my answer was to charge according to what it costs like any other project.
    Last edited by petersonra; 11-03-13 at 01:42 PM.
    Bob

The incredible, yet very expensive, Hudson Valley, NY NEC 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post

What would be a better business plan?
    Mike, Dutchess County, N.Y.

How much would you charge to rent temp service for say 6 months? Assuming you already had the thing made up the cost would still need to include permits, installation and removal, plus profit. Seems to me that it would be cheaper to just price it as a new service. When the job is done call for a POCO disconnect and never look back.
    Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    How much would you charge to rent temp service for say 6 months? Assuming you already had the thing made up the cost would still need to include permits, installation and removal, plus profit. Seems to me that it would be cheaper to just price it as a new service. When the job is done call for a POCO disconnect and never look back.
    seems like a good plan to me for someone who does not do much of this kind of thing.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    seems like a good plan to me for someone who does not do much of this kind of thing.
    I already have a number of construction temp power panels that we move to various projects that we wire. For this project, I will be paid to pull the temp electrical permit, install the unit and then remove the unit. Someone else will be doing the electrical for the new home. I was just wondering what a fair monthly rental fee would be. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenje View Post
    I already have a number of construction temp power panels that we move to various projects that we wire. For this project, I will be paid to pull the temp electrical permit, install the unit and then remove the unit. Someone else will be doing the electrical for the new home. I was just wondering what a fair monthly rental fee would be. Thanks.
    I think I would flat rate it, and be paid up front. This way when the front end loader destroys it or something else happens you are paid. It will also allow you to charge for the service call when the GFI won't reset.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenje View Post
    We received a request to set a temp power meter/panel for a new home. We will not be wiring the new home. We will pull a permit for it, set it in place and remove it for a set price. What is the going monthly rental fee rate for the use of the temp power panel? Thanks in advance!
    I don't like the idea of providing temp power for others.

When you provide temp power to a job site someone is supposed to be assigned to monitor the power system and check it on a regular basis to make sure it's safe (OSHA). You really should conduct regular inspections and keep a log of when say the GFCIs were tested. Not much to it if you are on the job but if you are just renting out the service it could be a lot of extra work.

I always wonder why the company that's going to wire the house or business is not providing their own temp power.
    "A sight for sore eyes to the blind would be awful magestic"---Wax Fang