Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Rental fee for temp power

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    46,947
    Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I think i would charge them $1000 up front and $200 a month. To me this situation seems like something with no real upside unless you have a bunch of them going on.
    My numbers are pretty much made up. I was just giving an example of how I would go about it.

    I think both of us have priced ourselves out of the work but that's OK, I don't think either of us wants to do it for the fun of it.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    10,916
    Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post
    My numbers are pretty much made up. I was just giving an example of how I would go about it.

    I think both of us have priced ourselves out of the work but that's OK, I don't think either of us wants to do it for the fun of it.
    I was using your numbers. To me this is a risky thing to become involved in as a one up project. If it is something where you have 50 of them going on at the same time, the risk of losing money on any one project is made up for by the profit from the other 49.

    There are enough things that can go wrong on something like this that it seems better to get your money up front if possible rather than relying on the contractor actually paying you every month, and being able to accurately determine what your costs are actually going to be.
    Bob

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    6,446
    Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    I was using your numbers. To me this is a risky thing to become involved in as a one up project. If it is something where you have 50 of them going on at the same time, the risk of losing money on any one project is made up for by the profit from the other 49.

    There are enough things that can go wrong on something like this that it seems better to get your money up front if possible rather than relying on the contractor actually paying you every month, and being able to accurately determine what your costs are actually going to be.
    Part of this is the familiar problem that comes up whenever you take on a new line of business. You can either try to get your startup costs from your first customer or come up with the money in advance knowing that you will keep on doing that kind of work profitably.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Part of this is the familiar problem that comes up whenever you take on a new line of business. You can either try to get your startup costs from your first customer or come up with the money in advance knowing that you will keep on doing that kind of work profitably.
    reply modified upon reflection.
    “Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day;
    teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.”

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16
    In the rare cases this comes up, our price is whatever it would be to construct the service, pull the permit, whatever. Install it and walk away, you own it, my liability and maintenance headache is done.
    If we get the equipment back at the end, then bonus, but I don't expect to. We will disconnect for free in exchange for the equipment.
    There is a reason that the fine print on the back of a equipment rental form is so long, it's a legal nightmare. The other thing is that rental companies insure themselves for that exposure, you may not.
    If it's a job that we are doing the building wiring then the temp is included in our scope anyway.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    960
    I did not see who was paying for the electricity usage!
    Make sure you EXPLICITLY state that the KWH usage is by the customer and not YOU!

    I have several temp services left over from jobs. All are paid for more than once. Build it, bill it as a T&M or flat rate.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    64
    So why isn't the EC that is wiring the house providing temp power?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterCMK View Post
    So why isn't the EC that is wiring the house providing temp power?
    The homeowner hired a company that is a fast tract low buck home builder. They only build the house. They do nothing else. No utilities, no temp power, no port-a-potty, nothing else. The home owner is responsible for it all. I gave him a price on setting the temp, but apparently I wasn't the fast track low buck temp power "put-er-in-er" he was looking for.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Clarkesville, Georgia
    Posts
    1,422
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenje View Post
    The homeowner hired a company that is a fast tract low buck home builder. They only build the house. They do nothing else. No utilities, no temp power, no port-a-potty, nothing else. The home owner is responsible for it all. I gave him a price on setting the temp, but apparently I wasn't the fast track low buck temp power "put-er-in-er" he was looking for.
    Bottom line is you didn't lose any money on that job.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •