Thread: DTE Smart Meter website changed

DTE Smart Meter website changed

131102-1526 EDT

DTE Smart Meter data --- new website today.

Prior to today the DTE Smart Meter website for my account was reasonably good and useful, and I have previously discussed it.

Today I encountered a whole new and virtually useless structure and limited availablity of data. Appears to be no more hourly data, only daily data. This is of no value if one wants to study their energy use, and try to determine what loads are significant contributors. In a sense the available data has been "dumbed" down.

The structure of the site is not intutitively obvious, and there are too many different questions that lead from one unknown step to another. You don't know where you are going until you select something and go there. No adequate definitions or descriptions of anything. This was written by some person inexperienced in the real world and technology. It falls in the category of some of the worst websites around. It is also very slow.

Essentially all of the previous graph types were removed, except a form of daily use is retained (kWh per day). A cumulative use per calendar month (about 28 to 31+ days) has been added. Rezeroing is at the beginning day of the billing period. Sept 28 thru Nov 2 shows on my displayed graph. But there can not be a Nov 2 bar because we have not reached the end of the day yet.

A few changes were needed to improve the old site, but this new site is a very bad regression, a disaster.

There is no better way to describe this new site other than to call it useless, a total waste.

131102-2207 EDT

I have a correction. I have found a location where hourly data is located. It is hidden, not obvious how to find it, and very much less flexible than the old system. I still have to describe the site as close to worthless. Very hard to use, too much trouble.

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Lucky for me, the one for Consumers Energy is still the same and pretty useful. We get hourly, daily and monthly graphs and the time on the info seems to coincide with the time of use rather well.

You may want to crab at DTE and ask them why they can't have a site as good as Consumers.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

131103-1303 EST

K8MHZ:

DTE will hear from me early on 11-4-13.

DTE had previously told me that they were going to improve the site. But they went the opposite direction.

You know what my previous hourly data for a calendar week looks like, and that was convenient useful information. Nothing comparable on the new site that I have found. I have now found I can get hourly data displayed for one day at a time. There are big time delays to go from one day to another. It appears I can download hourly data from many days, but anything other than one day for the time range is invalid.

Quite clearly this website is not ready for use even for its reduced capability. This software should only have been put on-line as a experiment that was run in a different web page with the old software still functional.

Has to be a black eye for the person that OKed it.

Have you tried an experiment with your cast iron pan, the inductive range, and 1 quart of tap water yet? I suggest the 1 quart because it would be comparable to my test. Also need to know the weight of the cast iron pot. With the tap water initial temperature, final temperature, about 180 deg F, time, pan weight, and kWh input I can correlate this with my experiment with the hotpot.

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Quote Originally Posted by gar View Post
    131103-1303 EST

K8MHZ:

DTE will hear from me early on 11-4-13.

DTE had previously told me that they were going to improve the site. But they went the opposite direction.

You know what my previous hourly data for a calendar week looks like, and that was convenient useful information. Nothing comparable on the new site that I have found. I have now found I can get hourly data displayed for one day at a time. There are big time delays to go from one day to another. It appears I can download hourly data from many days, but anything other than one day for the time range is invalid.

Quite clearly this website is not ready for use even for its reduced capability. This software should only have been put on-line as a experiment that was run in a different web page with the old software still functional.

Has to be a black eye for the person that OKed it.

Have you tried an experiment with your cast iron pan, the inductive range, and 1 quart of tap water yet? I suggest the 1 quart because it would be comparable to my test. Also need to know the weight of the cast iron pot. With the tap water initial temperature, final temperature, about 180 deg F, time, pan weight, and kWh input I can correlate this with my experiment with the hotpot.

No, I haven't done the experiment. My range isn't an inductive range, it's a smooth top which is basically resistive elements under tempered glass.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

131103-1638 EST

K8MHZ:

Use a small aluminum pan and don't worry about its weight.

I had thought from our earlier discussion that the a cast iron pan was necessary.

I believe the big difference, if there is a big difference, between my hotpot experiment and your range top will be the thermal coupling between the heating element and the pan compared to the hotpot where the heater is immersed in the liquid.

131106-0758 EST

Update on the DTE website My Energy Analyzer program. Some of the very serious bugs were corrected by 4 or 5 November 2013. Why was bug laden software put on-line? The problems should have been found and fixed before being put on-line. Very poor quality control. For the most part the logical design of this program is less useful, complete, and logical than the previous program. One improvement is that up to 90 days of data can be downloaded in one shot.

Gas usage is now available. There is no hourly temperature and wind speed data. Gas and electrical are separate downloads rather than being combined into one file.

To get some graphs that were previously part of the program it is now necessary to download the raw data, and process that data into your desired graphs.