Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire Ball rolls through on power lines in Canada

Fire Ball rolls through on power lines in Canada

Moderator note: This video contains strong language. Be aware of your surroundings before clicking on it.

I know all of you will be interested in this video. Here's the youtube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M45Br7f0Ec

I guess it go so hot, that the people shooting the video had to get away from the window! Amazing, and scary.
    Last edited by iwire; 11-05-13 at 12:42 PM.

NSFW due to language.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    NSFW due to language.
    Yes, but in the 'heat' of the moment that language mat have been the first thing to come to mind.

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    I wonder if the rash of solar flares we have been getting for the last couple weeks had anything to do with this.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Pretty Cool. I suspect it was just like a Jacob's Ladder, except instead of heat causing the plasma to rise, a slight breeze cause it to travel sideways down the line.

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    I just read further and found out that this was right after a huge windstorm knocked out power in the area. Probably an HV line dropped on a line spaced for a much lower voltage.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    I just read further and found out that this was right after a huge windstorm knocked out power in the area. Probably an HV line dropped on a line spaced for a much lower voltage.

Seen that happen before. Two phases swinging then when they meet or get close an arc forms. Then as the phases swing again it doesn't break, the arc just moves down the line to where the resistance(Closest phase to phase) is least until it breaks or blows up. If a recloser or breaker doesn't see the required fault current or the re-set time is short, then this can go on until the phases burn down. Could take hours, but most likely a dispatcher or troubleman will shut it down instead of waiting for it to trip.

the arc just moves down the line to where the resistance(Closest phase to phase) is least until it breaks or blows up

Actually, at high currents, it moves AWAY from the source due to loop magnetic forces. At low currents (mA, like a vertical Jacob's ladder) it follows air buoyant forces or, if horizontal, a breeze as Rick said. I'd say magnetic forces as it went toward the house.

Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post
    the arc just moves down the line to where the resistance(Closest phase to phase) is least until it breaks or blows up

Actually, at high currents, it moves AWAY from the source due to loop magnetic forces. At low currents (mA, like a vertical Jacob's ladder) it follows air buoyant forces or, if horizontal, a breeze as Rick said. I'd say magnetic forces as it went toward the house.
    Gotcha. I don't recall which way the arc was moving in the two times that I saw it happen. Just know it was traveling from the middle of the section back to the pole until the air gap was big enough to break it.

Quote Originally Posted by templdl View Post
    Yes, but in the 'heat' of the moment that language mat have been the first thing to come to mind.
    More likely the idiot used that language because he was putting it on youtube and wanted to sound cool. Normal people would just say WOW look at that.

-Hal