Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire Ball rolls through on power lines in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by JoeTroubleShoot View Post
    Seen that happen before. Two phases swinging then when they meet or get close an arc forms. Then as the phases swing again it doesn't break, the arc just moves down the line to where the resistance(Closest phase to phase) is least until it breaks or blows up. If a recloser or breaker doesn't see the required fault current or the re-set time is short, then this can go on until the phases burn down. Could take hours, but most likely a dispatcher or troubleman will shut it down instead of waiting for it to trip.
    Yep, same thing happened out side the stadium the night the lights went out at Candlestick Park, SF couple yrs ago
    Am I in shape?? I get plenty of exercise pushing my luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    More likely the idiot used that language because he was putting it on youtube and wanted to sound cool. Normal people would just say WOW look at that.

-Hal
    Really? A ball of fire coming down your street only gets a "Wow look at that"

Quote Originally Posted by mark32 View Post
    Better than "Not again!"
    BB+/BB=?

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    More likely the idiot used that language because he was putting it on youtube and wanted to sound cool. Normal people would just say WOW look at that.

-Hal
    Apparently the requirement for being an idiot in your judgement is pretty broad. I guess I am an idiot as well because I probably would have expressed myself in a similar manner if I had been there when it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by mark32 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mivey View Post
    Better than "Not again!"

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    Apparently the requirement for being an idiot in your judgement is pretty broad. I guess I am an idiot as well because I probably would have expressed myself in a similar manner if I had been there when it happened.
    Another idiot here, a big ball of noisy fire passing my house would get a stream of words I can't type here.

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    NSFW due to language.
    Thanks for the heads up. I added a note about it in the opening post.

wow

hmm, would not most folks here see that type an arc and exclaim:

'hey, look there, the 13.9 Kv feeder on the street is arcing due to the Wilson's willow tree shorting it out, looks like about 2.8kA fault current, moving the arc down the line due to about a 7 Nt loop force due to a few gauss of field', or something like that ??

rather than " wholly ...."

Quote Originally Posted by iwire View Post

Another idiot here, a big ball of noisy fire passing my house would get a stream of words I can't type here.
    Same here, but I might not post the unedited audio on the internet as part of my upload.