Smoke Detector Mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
When mouting a smoke detector in a hung(2x2) ceiling how is the j-box supported? I know Caddy make many different supports but I was wondering the most common. THanks.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
FYI, technically per code the Smoke detector does not need to be supported independent of the tile. I have never personally done this, but... I have seen many occupancy sensors installed without support. A similar instaltation.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
FYI, technically per code the Smoke detector does not need to be supported independent of the tile. I have never personally done this, but... I have seen many occupancy sensors installed without support. A similar instaltation.

So how doe the box stay put? Just rests on tile?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
So how doe the box stay put? Just rests on tile?
Yes basically the tile is sandwhiched between the mudring and the device. Note that you wouldn't be able to use round boxes and no mudrig for this. I don't recommend it where I live in Florida because of the humidity the tiles bow very quickly. In Ca. where I used to live the tiles didn't usually bow.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Yes basically the tile is sandwhiched between the mudring and the device. Note that you wouldn't be able to use round boxes and no mudrig for this. I don't recommend it where I live in Florida because of the humidity the tiles bow very quickly. In Ca. where I used to live the tiles didn't usually bow.

So most of the time a box hanger is used...I assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.