Light near a service drip loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

highvolts582

Does anyone know if there is a code reference. I have a customer who mounted a siding block behind or very near point of attachment. I want to say no. But want to back it up with a code
Article. I can arrange the wires so they won't hit luminaire but kinda close for bulb changes.

highvolts582

Huh

Huh

Im going to add that to my list of personal codes. Luminaries shall not be located near overhead service entrance conductor drip loops.

Exception 1. Drip loop conductors when moved in all possible directions shall not be within 12 inches of any luminare.

Exception 2. Luminare is placed more than 6 foot 7 inches above point of attachment measured horizontally to minimize injury to any persons servicing luminaire.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes the drip loop hitting a light fixture might not be a great idea but is changing a lamp next to the drip loop really a great hazard?

celtic

Does anyone know if there is a code reference. I have a customer who mounted a siding block behind or very near point of attachment. I want to say no. But want to back it up with a code
Article. I can arrange the wires so they won't hit luminaire but kinda close for bulb changes.

You might want to check the POCO's requirements....

I have PSE&G's Requirements for Electric Service book [aka, The Green Book...http://www.pseg.com/business/builders/new_service/before/pdf/RequirementsElecSvc2005.pdf ]

I don't know which POCO serves the area where that job is at, but the requirements are probably very simialr.

In The Green Book...page A-5 & A-6...
A-5-1.jpg

A-6-1.jpg

If a gutter/leader [Item F ] is required to a minimum of 3" ...it stands to reason that is a minimum for any object....

In The Green Book...page A-8

A-8.jpg

...with further support from No. 10. The point of service connection must be workable from an extension ladder on grade level.

How large is the fixture?

highvolts582

Nice info Ive got to stop forgetting poco.

Nice info Ive got to stop forgetting poco.

I'm not sure yet. I am sure a single or dual spot light. I will be sure to update this with a pic tomorrow. I'm going to rough this bungalow tomorrow. It's jcpl area.

highvolts582

Yes the drip loop hitting a light fixture might not be a great idea but is changing a lamp next to the drip loop really a great hazard?

When you start to slip or fall will you grab the light or the service conductors. Isn't that why we
Keep wires away from windows so toasties have to jump and break there hip instead of hanging perfectly safe on the drip loop till fire dept retrieves them. I also go by Murphy's law.

Status
Not open for further replies.