Recessed lighting in a Residential Wine Cooler/Cellar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any code restrictions to installing a recessed can light fixture with a vapor lens cover in the ceiling of a Residential walk-in wine cooler?

stickboy1375

I would make sure you install a insulated can for the obvious reason of keeping the conditioned room, well... conditioned.... I wouldn't worry about a damp location trim either, unless otherwise spec'd for the job.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I would make sure you install a insulated can for the obvious reason of keeping the conditioned room, well... conditioned.... I wouldn't worry about a damp location trim either, unless otherwise spec'd for the job.
I agree. The opening and closing of the door will create a pressure pulse that will push/pull against the interior of the cooler. In my opinion, that dynamic creates the same issues that electrical wall penetrations of walkin coolers and freezers have.

If the vapor tite trim on the recessed light has a "gravity fit" lens in a gasketed skirt, the door operation that raises the pressure inside the cooler will try to blow by the lens. That is, the lens will act like a one way valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.