How many foot of NM it will take

Status
Not open for further replies.

nafis

I am new to the business side of new electrical work. I have to give an estimate for a potential customer today. He has 3900 sq ft home that he wants wired. Not sure how much NM I would need for a house that size. I have wired a house before, but never gave an estimate for one. My experience is mostly in remodeling. I have attached the print. As always, any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• electric.pdf
    114.7 KB · Views: 0

kwired

Electron manager
I am new to the business side of new electrical work. I have to give an estimate for a potential customer today. He has 3900 sq ft home that he wants wired. Not sure how much NM I would need for a house that size. I have wired a house before, but never gave an estimate for one. My experience is mostly in remodeling. I have attached the print. As always, any help would be appreciated

When you send me a check for doing your estimate I will tell you exactly everything you need:thumbsup:

Have you done enough new homes to have somewhat of an idea of how many reels of cable it has taken for a similar home in the past?

Not everyone does things the same way and some guys will use more cable than others. Only you know what your tendencies are - like do you use 14 AWG everywhere possible or do you prefer 12 AWG for receptacle outlets even if not required? or do you put one room on a circuit no matter what, or will you put a couple on a circuit, or go 15 amp circuits for lights, and 20 amp circuits for receptacles? Some of these methods are simply personal choices and sometimes they really do not effect total cost all that much.

On a home that size I generally figure 2 (1000 foot) reels of 14-2, 2 reels of 12-2, and 1 reel of 14-3. If there are a lot of three way switches I may increase the amount of 14-3. This usually accounts for enough cable for house that has typical desired items people want in most cases. It is more than going absolutely as cheap as possible, but is just how I generally do things. Last thing you want to do with an estimate is be too low, it is easier to ask customer for less at the end then to ask for more.

480sparky

One may be able to estimate cable usage, but it would be far from accurate. Just having the E-sheets is far from enough to guess. I've had cases where I've had to run 150' of 14/3 just to get from the wall switch to the ceiling fan box simply due to lam-beams in the way.

In reality, the cost of NM is a small percentage of your overall costs. So if you need to buy an extra roll of 12/2 or 14/2, it's really inconsequential.

Start benchmarking your jobs from here on out. Keep track of how much material you use, along with labor units. Then in the future, you'll be better able to provide a profitable & competative bid.

renosteinke

There's simply no way to tell, without pacing it off, following your expected route. Even then, you can expect to be short 20%.

Who did the design? Is the house framed already? How will you route the cables? Have you already made a quote?

Now ... what you CAN do to limit your losses is to buy your cable in the biggest roll / reel / spool you can get. This reduces the number of 'roll ends' that are just a bit too short.

Get some mason line, and make sure your holes are in a straight line.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I estimate 6,234 feet. :)

satcom

One may be able to estimate cable usage, but it would be far from accurate. Just having the E-sheets is far from enough to guess. I've had cases where I've had to run 150' of 14/3 just to get from the wall switch to the ceiling fan box simply due to lam-beams in the way.

In reality, the cost of NM is a small percentage of your overall costs. So if you need to buy an extra roll of 12/2 or 14/2, it's really inconsequential.

Start benchmarking your jobs from here on out. Keep track of how much material you use, along with labor units. Then in the future, you'll be better able to provide a profitable & competative bid.

Good tip to have accurate data, to price future work.

cdslotz

I could tell you exactly, but I would have to do a takeoff first.

It amazes me that people think that the "Electrical Contracting and Estimating/Management" section of this forum means free estimating and pricing.
What's even scarier is that the OP is someone's competition.

You are kidding right?

Maybe I was a little to soon to comment. It's that I saw you are a senior member, so you must have been around the block somewhat and you have the drawings. You say you are new to the business end so let me offer some advise on estimating. When I'm confronted with a big estimate with many pages, the task on taking it off can sometimes be overwhelming. I find the easiest way to get started is start counting light fixtures , then maybe devices, panels and disconnects. Before you know it, you're grasping the project and have a well understanding of how it all goes together and can develop a price for the job. What I suggest is start in one room and measure the runs from each outlet, before you know it you will have your answer.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I usually did an opening price and that included cable. the thing with the cable, is that you'll use it again. it's not like you can over buy by to much. But if upfront cost is a concern you can always just buy what you think you can install in a day or two and make another trip to the wholesale house if you have to.

We used to stop by the wholesale house almost every morning, but I know some of you guys don't have one right down the street from you either.

cdslotz

I find the easiest way to get started is start counting light fixtures , then maybe devices, panels and disconnects.

This sounds like a casual suggestion that 'might' work.

I don't think I've estimated anything without counting EVERYTHING at the very minimum.
Even if I'm going to unit price it.

Gac66610

is that what a resi print is suppose to look like
i dont think i have ever seen one so detailed

ones i get so the locations of the rooms and appliances thats it

i'm guessing its a slab house cause there is only one floor level?

if this builder does all prints like this i want his business! .... :p

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
What does the extra switch control in the master suite? :p I generally don't put the fan on a switch, the switch usually doesn't get used anyway... I wouldn't worry about getting the romex exactly right, worry about the bigger wire that you wont be able to use in other places...

nafis

Thank you all for input, I did not design the house, its single floor home with 12 feet ceiling.
I am planning to do the take-off and visit the job site. No I have never work with this builder, I agreed to bid on the job just because I will be dealing directly with homeowner.

??

Again thank you all

iaov

Really will depend on what is actually going into the house. We have a term in the bis called a WAG. If I were to give you an accurate wag I?d want to put in my own bid. Good luck.

satcom

Don't forget to add the extra cable needed to meet the required neutral in all the 3 way switch
boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.