Sizing underground conuctors from utility transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mezlin

We have a new 3 unit apt. building that has a (120/240V service) 3 gang meter base w/3 150A mains feeding each apt.
What size conductors need to be pulled to utility transformer to feed to 3-gang meter enclosure? Each apt. has electric range and a Heatpump HVAC system.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
See article 220, you will need more information than what you supplied.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I see your profile says contractor-- are you the electrical contractor?
I am wondering the same thing. If the OP is an electrical contractor in FL he should be able to do the calculations.

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Around here, even if the contractor is installing those cables, the utility specifies the size. They are on the line side of the service point and under the control of the utility and are subject to the rules in the NEC.

Around here, even if the contractor is installing those cables, the utility specifies the size. They are on the line side of the service point and under the control of the utility and are subject to the rules in the NEC.

Hmmmm, did you mean to say "not subject"? If it is under Utility control, the Utilities are not subject to the NEC rules, unless the Utility declares so for that portion of the service.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I guess it's a geographical thing, many times they are sized by the building designer and shown on the drawings here in the Southeast. We pull them and the utility terminates them. We have to provide the POCO with the number and size of conductors per phase so they can provide the correct terminations.

Roger

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Hmmmm, did you mean to say "not subject"? If it is under Utility control, the Utilities are not subject to the NEC rules, unless the Utility declares so for that portion of the service.
Yes, I did mean to put "not" in that post. Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
We have a new 3 unit apt. building that has a (120/240V service) 3 gang meter base w/3 150A mains feeding each apt.
What size conductors need to be pulled to utility transformer to feed to 3-gang meter enclosure? Each apt. has electric range and a Heatpump HVAC system.

unless i am missing something wouldn't this be determined by the POCO?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
unless i am missing something wouldn't this be determined by the POCO?
It is really based on where the service point is located. If the conductors in question are on the line side of the service point then the utility rules apply. If the conductors are on the load side of the service point, then the NEC applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.