Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: voltage drop 425 feet help

voltage drop 425 feet help

Ok here is the thing, pipe is existing 1&1/2 pvc 425 feet long 60 a overcurrent at the main panel,, the load at the barn is about 48 amps as a guess. Whats the largest size copper conductors and or alr. conductors that can be pulled?? So far I came up with 3 3/0 alr. with no ground, drive a ground rod at the barn and call it a day, or three number 1/0 and one # 6 copper. What do you guys think?? The huge issue is the 1&1/2 pvc thats undersized.

You got these questions answered yesterday and the person you told off is a moderator here as well.

Ya he did, I was in a bad mood yesterday. Happens... Questions still not clear...

Yesterday

Yesterday was a bad day, happens..

A lot of the guys on here post, or at least read, ET.
    I definitively understand "bad days", but, if I may be so bold, I think an apology to Dennis in ET might well enhance the number of replies here.
    It does appear you got some good answers there including reducing the neutral and I think it was clear that eliminating the equipment ground would be a violation of 250.32(B) so I'm unsure why you still look at that option unless you are simply seeking an answer that you like .
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    A lot of the guys on here post, or at least read, ET.
    I definitively understand "bad days", but, if I may be so bold, I think an apology to Dennis in ET might well enhance the number of replies here.
    It does appear you got some good answers there including reducing the neutral and I think it was clear that eliminating the equipment ground would be a violation of 250.32(B) so I'm unsure why you still look at that option unless you are simply seeking an answer that you like .
    another forum?
    Bob

I sent him a pm

And I do apologize, this last couple jobs are making me wanna jerk the wheel into the bridge abutment on the way home ! Ha!

Grounds

We're still on the 05 and I disagree on the ground issue. I think I can run two 3/0 and drive two rods at the barn and call it a day. No?

Quote Originally Posted by Deanos View Post
    Ok here is the thing, pipe is existing 1&1/2 pvc 425 feet long 60 a overcurrent at the main panel,, the load at the barn is about 48 amps as a guess. Whats the largest size copper conductors and or alr. conductors that can be pulled?? So far I came up with 3 3/0 alr. with no ground, drive a ground rod at the barn and call it a day, or three number 1/0 and one # 6 copper. What do you guys think?? The huge issue is the 1&1/2 pvc thats undersized.
    I have no idea what was posted in ET, I rarely go there - they are too rude for me.

That said nobody can answer question as it was asked here without first knowing 1 - the voltage (though 120/240 single phase is kind of assumed), 2 how much voltage drop is to be allowed, and 3 what the real max load is, you said 60 amp overcurrent device, so we can go worst case scenario based on 60 amps, or we can go with a little more reality and go on actual load which was suggested to maybe be 48 amps.

Without doing any calculations the 3/0 seems like overkill to me, but again what is the allowable voltage drop? I ran a circuit to x-ray equipment in a hospital one time and they did want pretty low voltage drop and it was much larger conductor than I would have used for most other applications at the same load.

I think your falling short on the assumed * AMPS that will be used but lets assume 120/240.

50 Amps 350 kcmil XHHW 2 1/2" PVC sch 40 4-wire under 3% VD

50 Amps 4/0 CU XHHW 2" PVC Sch 40 4-wire under 3% VD

* You should probably load this up to 60 Amps. I only gave you 50A.

You need to find out all that is going into the Barn, sometimes they turn this place into
    a very comfortable place, Office, Bath room, Hot-water.

Then just consider the standard stuff like Heat, A/C, even a motor for a barn fan, lights inside and out, then the real equipment like a welder, car lifts, Receptacle circuits, Etc., Etc., future

Bottom line you have to state you need to know exactly what's going in there, because your
    suppose to do load calcuations that account for all the equipement, or worse future stuff.
    that this install gets into.

Beside at this distance the price of wire and a transformer in barn might be a real option!
    Which gets back in types of loads - equipment.

You don't want to embarass them or yourself in this matter.

Welcome to the Forum.