So what are these things for .. exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gac66610

photo.jpg
Hope you can see this well enough

Almost like throwing money away, I was under the assumption that everyone knew what the IBT were for

wrong again:huh:

add : sorry didnt think it was this large

RonPecinaJr

They enforce these sporadically here in NJ. Installing them for each and every service upgrade avoids the return trip for the EI who enforces the code.

The photo above is clearly an untrained telephone technician who likely worked for the cable company previously.

iwire

Staff member
Actually the phone company hasn't had time to implement the classroom training company wide, on the proper installation of this new technology.

This is not all that new, it's just not been enforced. I have yet had a inspector enforce it yet.

There is a requirement for us to provide the IBT, I don't believe there is any requirement at all for any other trade to use it.

Dcd5907

There is a requirement for us to provide the IBT, I don't believe there is any requirement at all for any other trade to use it.

That's exactly it. Here in New York, westchester county, our inspectors do look for it on all new service installations and upgrades but they can't inforce the utility co to use it.

Gac66610

That solid wire doesn't look like the GEC to me.

have never been flagged for it, there is a CEE in the house
it does say I.Bonding T. not grounding terminal:happyno:

I'm not sure about that but it does appear to be a #8 and not the required #6.

i dont even carry #8 on my truck or have any in my shop, I promise its #6:happyyes:

the biggest problem i saw with the picture ... (beside the IBT not being used) no caulking around the conduit entering the home:ashamed1:

kwired

Electron manager
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Somewhere I have a pic of the phone ground bonded to the end of a PVC run.

I have seen them bond to a sill cock many times - and then after going inside I find the sill cock was fed with non metallic piping:slaphead:

sandsnow

This photo was posted here a few years ago.

plasticbonding.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.