THWN WIRE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I know CU wire comes thhn/thwn I guess dual purpose you can call it. Does AL wire come THWN or it would have to be XHHW? Thanks.

Strife

I know CU wire comes thhn/thwn I guess dual purpose you can call it. Does AL wire come THWN or it would have to be XHHW? Thanks.

From what I understood THHN is not rated for wet conditions, THWN IS. The old THWN was rated 60 degrees or so(???), while THHN is rated 90. So by having THHN/THWN listing you get the best of both worlds(90 degree rating, wet conditions).
Also, from what I understood XHHW2 is rated for wet condition.And last I think all manufacturers make only XHHW2. Recently I installed over 10K feet of AL wire and I had to make sure that it was XHHW2 as it was in underground conduit.
And I believe the AL THHN/THWN wire is more expensive than the XHHW2

C3PO

From what I understood THHN is not rated for wet conditions, THWN IS. The old THWN was rated 60 degrees or so(???), while THHN is rated 90. So by having THHN/THWN listing you get the best of both worlds(90 degree rating, wet conditions).
Also, from what I understood XHHW2 is rated for wet condition.And last I think all manufacturers make only XHHW2. Recently I installed over 10K feet of AL wire and I had to make sure that it was XHHW2 as it was in underground conduit.
And I believe the AL THHN/THWN wire is more expensive than the XHHW2

I believe it has to be THWN-2 to be 90c wet

cdslotz

Well you started this thread about THHN Compact Alum feeders. You were looking for charts.
I linked the Alcan site which has charts, then you dismissed it because, for what ever reason, you think THHN was the way to go. So the thread died there.
I'm still curious why you dismiss XHHW-2 when it's a common stock item, which means it's cheaper. It's more compact and pliable, easy to work with, smaller diameter, meaning most conduits don't have to be up-sized.
Oh well. here's the thread.
And there is a link within this thread for even more discussion

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=144917&highlight=thhn+compact+aluminum

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Well you started this thread about THHN Compact Alum feeders. You were looking for charts.
I linked the Alcan site which has charts, then you dismissed it because, for what ever reason, you think THHN was the way to go. So the thread died there.
I'm still curious why you dismiss XHHW-2 when it's a common stock item, which means it's cheaper. It's more compact and pliable, easy to work with, smaller diameter, meaning most conduits don't have to be up-sized.
Oh well. here's the thread.
And there is a link within this thread for even more discussion

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=144917&highlight=thhn+compact+aluminum

XHHW-2 Al is not cheaper than THWN Al

kwired

Electron manager

THWN AL would be a non stocked item at my suppliers. Unless you place a big enough order, it will be more expensive than the stocked XWWH-2, I have a feeling that is also the situation cdslotz was talking about.

cdslotz

I'm pretty sure it's cheaper around here. I have been unemployed for a while, so I don;t have access to suppliers or get commodity updates.
However, I would never even consider THWN because I save on labor and conduit using XHHW-2. And I can order it and have special cuts delivered the next day

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I'm pretty sure it's cheaper around here. I have been unemployed for a while, so I don;t have access to suppliers or get commodity updates.
However, I would never even consider THWN because I save on labor and conduit using XHHW-2. And I can order it and have special cuts delivered the next day

CD sorry to hear about your unemployment . Why do you save one on conduit using XHHW-2? It's not direct burial.... USE is though

cdslotz

CD sorry to hear about your unemployment . Why do you save one on conduit using XHHW-2? It's not direct burial.... USE is though

Sigh...because it doesn't require you to up-size your conduits when you substitute for copper (in most cases).

You really need to read up

Status
Not open for further replies.