110.24 (A) Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sllazar

I have a question about this new code change 110.24? We have been wiring 8 plex residential condo buildings for 2 years now. The last building we did the inspector is asking for us to field mark the date and available fault current on the service equipment based on this new code. The first sentence of this code says "other than dwelling units". These are definitely dwelling units. Does anyone have any input. I do understand that once you get to 6 units it would be considered a commercial project, however it still is dwelling units.

Thank You!

T

taylorp

From the 2011 NEC:

Dwelling Unit. A single unit, providing complete and independent
living facilities for one or more persons, including
permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and sanitation.

110.24 Available Fault Current(A) Field Marking. Service equipment in other than
dwelling units shall be legibly marked in the field with the
maximum available fault current. The field marking(s) shall
include the date the fault current calculation was performed
and be of sufficient durability to withstand the environment
involved.

I can understand where you are coming from, and I certainly agree with you that these condos are "dwelling units." However if you look at the literal code definition, it seems to say that "dwelling unit(s)" are single unit homes. At least that seems to be the way the inspector looks at it.

I would lean towards the inspector on this call. This seems to be commercial property and not what we would consider "residential." But the final decision is not mine or yours, but the AHJ.

jumper

Easy fix, call the POCO and ask them what it is.

What ever number they give you will be actually less depending on the distance from the transformer and such, but it will satisfy the requirement.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It appears that CMP 1 agrees with the inspector. Read the panel statement.
1-122 Log #1695 NEC-P01 Final Action: Reject
(110.24)_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Submitter: James F. Williams, Fairmont, WV
Revise text to read as follows:
110.24 Available fault current. Service equipment in other than dwelling units shall be legibly marked in the field with the maximum
available fault current. The field marking(s) shall include the date the fault current calculation was performed and be of
sufficient durability to withstand the environment involved.
Exception: Service equipment in dwelling with services not greater than 400A or 240Vshall not be subject to the
requirements of 110.24.

Substantiation: These requirements should apply to service equipment that may have available fault currents in
excess of normal dwelling service equipment. It should also apply to multi-family dwellings that may have services for
example in excess of 1000 Amperes.
Panel Action: Reject.
Panel Statement: As written, the current text would already apply to multifamily dwelling occupancies that may contain
individual dwelling units (which would be exempt from the requirement).
red text is text to be deleted, blue text is new

Status
Not open for further replies.