Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

Manufacture name recommendations on a vehicle charging station for residential? So far I read-up on the Siemens Versi. But, my knowledge of the overall quality, and reliability is zero.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Just had a training class with a new customer on Ecotality chargers, pretty cool stuff, you actually have a touch pad display screen that gives you a lot of information, not just a on/off button. I think there made in Switzerland? They seem to be competitive on their pricing too. They have a website and an app to show where their chargers are, and real time in use and availability on their public chargers.

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Because you asked for specific names, don't foget about Schneider Electric. Their offering is shown in the Advanced Products section (#29) of Digest 176.

resistance

Just researched two companies: 1. AV (Never heard of them) 2.Eaton.
I will look at the ones you posted.
The customer has the Miev by Mitsubishi, and they are recommending the two above. Seems the AV is cheaper in price.

resistance

Looked at the schneider one too!!! Seems they are all looking good!! Now I need a review on the ones mentioned.:D

Rampage_Rick

Eaton is another major EVSE manufacturer

Eaton is another major EVSE manufacturer

I just ordered a Chevy Volt this past Wednesday. The 2013s start being built this coming Monday. I should have mine by August.

I'm familiar with some of the Schneider units, but I think I'm going with the Eaton EVSEL230HNAW for my house. The sticker price is under $1000 CDN at Big Orange and there's a $500 government rebate here for qualifying models (on top of the $5000 discount on the car)

*edit*

Here's the list of chargers eligible for the rebate here in BC. I suspect it's one of the most comprehensive lists of Level 2 chargers available.

http://www.livesmartbc.ca/incentives/transportation/ev_charging_station_eligible_products.pdf

Also I should clarify: Technically the charger is in the car. The charging station is basically a smart extension cord with ground fault protection.

Last edited:

resistance

I just ordered a Chevy Volt this past Wednesday. The 2013s start being built this coming Monday. I should have mine by August.

I'm familiar with some of the Schneider units, but I think I'm going with the Eaton EVSEL230HNAW for my house. The sticker price is under $1000 CDN at Big Orange and there's a $500 government rebate here for qualifying models (on top of the $5000 discount on the car)

*edit*

Here's the list of chargers eligible for the rebate here in BC. I suspect it's one of the most comprehensive lists of Level 2 chargers available.

http://www.livesmartbc.ca/incentives/transportation/ev_charging_station_eligible_products.pdf

Also I should clarify: Technically the charger is in the car. The charging station is basically a smart extension cord with ground fault protection.
Not sure if those rebates are offered here? They do have a rebate on the car (your comment about the charger being in the car is noted).
TY!! Good info!!!:thumbsup:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Every major electrical mfg makes EV supply equipment.
I did class on EV Supply Equipment last year and researched many mfgs of EVSE. Clipper Creek has been around for a long time and makes a affordable charger. I called them and talked to one of the managers, got a lot of good information.
For EV charging, a level 1 charger is 120v 12-16 amps, recharge of typical EV takes 12 hours. Think of it as jumper cables
EV owners will want a level 2 charger, 240V , 32 amps , 40 amps or 60 amps. This charger will recharge the battery in perhaps 4 hours, depending on the battery state. Level 1 and 2 supply 120 or 240 to the eV and battery charger is on board
The 32 amp charger takes a 40 BC.
Leviton has a good web site.
Most wholesale houses will carry several types of chargers.

I have seen one level 3 charger, this bad boy is 400 amps DC, from a 3 phase 480 supply, and will charge an EV in 15 minutes, but takes a special plug on the EV. Eventually there will be charging stations on I-5 from san diego to vancouver CA.

resistance

Every major electrical mfg makes EV supply equipment.
I did class on EV Supply Equipment last year and researched many mfgs of EVSE. Clipper Creek has been around for a long time and makes a affordable charger. I called them and talked to one of the managers, got a lot of good information.
For EV charging, a level 1 charger is 120v 12-16 amps, recharge of typical EV takes 12 hours. Think of it as jumper cables
EV owners will want a level 2 charger, 240V , 32 amps , 40 amps or 60 amps. This charger will recharge the battery in perhaps 4 hours, depending on the battery state. Level 1 and 2 supply 120 or 240 to the eV and battery charger is on board
The 32 amp charger takes a 40 BC.
Leviton has a good web site.
Most wholesale houses will carry several types of chargers.

I have seen one level 3 charger, this bad boy is 400 amps DC, from a 3 phase 480 supply, and will charge an EV in 15 minutes, but takes a special plug on the EV. Eventually there will be charging stations on I-5 from san diego to vancouver CA.
I agree, this market is going to get huge. Hopefully that will bring down the price. In reference to the EV’s: some people are going the same route they go with hot tubs. They buy one, then find-out they need all these extras to get it to work. :lol: In almost every case, I hear a customer say, “I didn’t know I was going to have pay this much money just to have a new circuit installed!”

resistance

Personally, I don?t believe they are advanced enough. I believe that Mitsubishi MIEV only drives up to 60 miles before charging is needed.

resistance

All we have installed at the dealers is Eaton, and we have done quite a few of them! :)
I like the options eaton provides, but I hate the price>>>It makes bidding hard—when AV is selling a level 2 (240v) unit for an estimated $780. Not sure of their quality. I believe Platt is doing me in on price, as Eaton quoted $1079 (not including shipping) for the unit, and Platt quoted the same—with shipping being outrageously high ($200). Maybe the Platt rep didn’t know what he was talking about on the shipping price!!

@ Steve,
Thanks for the post, I’ll take a look.

Last edited:

resistance

Customer is thinking of dumping Mitsu, and going Leaf (Nissan). Seems they need their car sooner than Mitsu can ship. I have a question: What type of equipment is needed to do a diagnostic test on the EV docks. I watched a Nissan video, where the electrician had a tester?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Customer is thinking of dumping Mitsu, and going Leaf (Nissan). Seems they need their car sooner than Mitsu can ship. I have a question: What type of equipment is needed to do a diagnostic test on the EV docks. I watched a Nissan video, where the electrician had a tester?

There are several manufactures including Eaton that make a tester, with a wide range of pricing, and functions. Ecotality says that Electrorents is also looking at renting these also.

resistance

Just an update. The project never got started. I can only guess to say: she went with her neighbors idea. Which was to use any 120v receptacle available. She also sent me some stuff she got off a ?so called? EV forum?where these idiots are suggesting code violations. Note: She only sent me a copy of the conversation?never the site name. Interesting!! Typical! More revenue loss!!! Estimates are costing me big!!!

Thepoteet

I don't see those types of vehicles making it up here in Alaska, where the cold weather kills batteries if their not plugged most of the day and night. In climates like this those vehicles are not even on the lots of the dealerships, so I don't know what they plan to do for a green vehicle in artic or sub-artic climates. They will work for maybe 5 months on an average in those climates. I am really interested in what they propose for these climates, if they are trying to push it big time in the lower 48.

Status
Not open for further replies.