Meter outside - main in short crawlspace

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

Cannot find previous posts on this. Meter is outside. Main disconnect is in a crawlspace on the opposite side of the wall. Accessed from the outside. Once again, approved by the AHJ (if this area was even looked in). Doesn't this violate clear access requirements?

DSCF6320.jpg DSCF6321.jpg

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Cannot find previous posts on this. Meter is outside. Main disconnect is in a crawlspace on the opposite side of the wall. Accessed from the outside. Once again, approved by the AHJ (if this area was even looked in). Doesn't this violate clear access requirements?

View attachment 7179 View attachment 7180

I would say it violates OSHA, NEC, and NFPA70E, just to name three

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
70E was probably not around at the time of this install, looks to be vintage 70's or 80's, probably about the time the code changed not allowing unprotected service conductors to be run through the house, I just fixed a bunch of homeowner issues in a house built in 81. This was in the metropolitan Atlanta area where the meter was at one end of the house, with the panel and service disconnect at the other end. Apparently the service conductors were run between the first and second floor because I didn't see it in the attic. I know they had to have inspections in that area at that time.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
70E was probably not around at the time of this install, looks to be vintage 70's or 80's, probably about the time the code changed not allowing unprotected service conductors to be run through the house, I just fixed a bunch of homeowner issues in a house built in 81. This was in the metropolitan Atlanta area where the meter was at one end of the house, with the panel and service disconnect at the other end. Apparently the service conductors were run between the first and second floor because I didn't see it in the attic. I know they had to have inspections in that area at that time.

I could see that since the 70E wasn't introduced till '79. I believe the working space requirements were around much longer though. Then there is the whole "recognized hazards" thing. I doubt it would ever be a problem unless one removed the cover while it was hot.
Of course, the bush and the meter base is something altogether different. The bush would need to be permatrimmed...:p

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The installation of service equipment in crawl spaces was common on split-level style houses in NJ during the 60's and 70's. Many of those homes even had the panel in the crawl space which was likely legal at the time, if not by the NEC then simply by common local practice.

tonype

Little more info:

1. This crawlspace is an addition - 1981.
2. Power is fed to the home from the rear (transmission lines are along the rear property line).
3. From the main disconnect, the SEC runs though the crawlspace to a panel in the original (ca. 1930's) basement.
4. Crawlspace access door is from the outside - snow issue?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't believe that installation was compliant in 1981, but am not positive. I have never seen a disconnect in a crawlspace that didn't have the height requirements of 110.26 (E)
Now the exception to that allows existing dwelling units, if the service does not exceed 200 amps then it will be allowed to have a headroom of less than 6'6".
IMO, once that addition was built that changed things and the service equipment had to be readily accessible and have the proper clearances.

renosteinke

Kbuz, there is no required orientation for most enclosures. The one exception would be NEMA 3R, when actually installed in a wet location; then they have to be installed so as to block the entry of objectionable amounts of water.

Likewise, there's no requirement that 'down' be 'off' - unless the handle moves up and down. Side to side is not an issue, nor is 'this way and that' (as you might find if it were mounted on the ceiling).

I don't like the disco in the crawl space either ... but let's not invent requirements or make unwarranted references to "the listing." If it's not specifically forbidden ... it's allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.