Over Bent on 2" RMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPIG

We are all never perfect all the time.

so on that note when i have a over bent stub up (RMC 90deg) and want to release a deg or two of the conduit, I drop the bend on the ground with a piece of wood to soften any possible surface damage to the conduit. This not the safest practice and recently we had a conduit jump up and hit a 3rd year in the face and cause a frist aid.

My question: What other practice can and have been used, with safety in mind?

tsamples

I have put the end of the counduit back into the bender and leaned on the conduit to remove excess bends. Works more reliably than hitting it on the ground.

copper chopper

i would put coupling on it to protect the treads and put it under a forklift or a big lull or sissors lift with the long end standing up and have 1 or 2 guys yank on it till you get it where you want.

jusme123

Occupation
JW

so on that note when i have a over bent stub up (RMC 90deg) and want to release a deg or two of the conduit, I drop the bend on the ground with a piece of wood to soften any possible surface damage to the conduit. This not the safest practice and recently we had a conduit jump up and hit a 3rd year in the face and cause a frist aid.

...bend it right the first time :happyyes::slaphead:

krisinjersey

Sure, why not

Sure, why not

Yep, standard procedure for us.....;)
We call this the "Wing it technique" and I believe one of the guys I came up with has practically mastered it. Everybody get rolling with the pump and gives it that one too many pumps every now and again. Getting the pipe to do what you want after you screw up, without losing the length or a ton of time, is a testament to your ability to get things done. Stuff it under something heavy that won't get damaged and give it a yank or two. Worst comes to worst, if you take too much out, you can use the bender to put it back :D

jeremysterling

Early in my career, I worked at a factory where I bent 2" GRC (RMC) on the triple-nickel all day long. On occasion that I overbent a 90? a half degree or so, I would safely and reliably "drop the bend on the ground" to square the bend. Since we are talking about rigid, I did not worry about "any possible surface damage." Aim for some smooth concrete and if there is a scuff, I'd hit it with a sparse disguising spray of cold galv. This method is the best, IMO, and can work well for even a several degree overbend.

But you are asking for the safer alternative. IMO, scrap the overbend, get a fresh stick, recalibrate the protractor and/or operator and try again.

Monkeying around levering up scissor-lifts and fork-lifts is less safe than dropping the bend on the ground. I'm always furtively looking around for the rental equipment representative while I use his 19' scissor to squeeze an inch out of a 2" EMT offset.:ashamed1:

Last edited:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Monkeying around levering up scissor-lifts and fork-lifts is less safe than dropping the bend on the ground. I'm always furtively looking around for the rental equipment representative while I use his 19' scissor to squeeze an inch out of a 2" EMT offset.:ashamed1:

I can't say I agree with that, but to each his own.

I don't even think twice about sticking it under a scissor lift and tweaking it, people watching or not, just use a little common sense and don't pry against a hydraulic fitting....

cadpoint

Just find about anything

Just find about anything

Is what I meant to say!

I've used vertical steel members IE the web of the steel, I used bollards.

But frankly if it's still new in the construction phase is finding a core drilled hole! It will hold it at two points and hold the inside edge and bend againest the travel of the backside of the arc.

Oh course the bigger the hole, the easier the workability.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I use the duals on a construction storage trailer, I have bent offsets that way too in a pinch. The soft tires allow it to cradle in there without kinking it if you don't have much to take out. Be sure though to put a coupling on the end so you don't cut the tire if you get it too low on it.

jeremysterling

What good is a big red spot on your neck for unbending conduit?

That reminds me of days in the oil patch when the rig welders would bet their apprentices they couldn't bend a handful of p5 stick welding rods around the back of their neck.

The "roughneck" would bend the rods alright, and get electrode powder all down their back!:lol:

twoelk

We have a couple pieces of 2", about a foot long, and about a foot apart, welded to the side of our bending table. It makes a great place to make adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.