Continuous Loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

RB1

Two three-phase, four-wire multi-wire circuits are installed in a single raceway in an industrial building with an ambient temperature of 115? F. Each circuit supplies 120 volt fluorescent lighting with a connected load of 1920VA. The conductors are THWN-2. What is the minimum size wire required?

RB1

David,

Does this look correct?

Continuous load before the application of any adjustment of correction factors = 1920 X 125% = 2400VA/120V = 20A

Ampacity for load served: No. 12 THWN-2 = 30A X .70 X .82 = 17.22A > 16A :: OK

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
David,

Does this look correct?

Continuous load before the application of any adjustment of correction factors = 1920 X 125% = 2400VA/120V = 20A

Ampacity for load served: No. 12 THWN-2 = 30A X .70 X .82 = 17.22A > 16A :: OK

That's the way I did it.

RB1

SPierce,

The conductor has an ampacity of 20 amps before the application of the adjustment or correction factors.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I'm confused, why wouldn't the final ampacity of the conductor have to be 20 amps since this is a continuous load?

See the first sentence of 210.19(A)(1):
Branch circuit conductors shall have an ampacity not less than the maximum load to be served.

The actual load on each circuit is 16Amps. So a conductor with an ampacity of 17.2 is large enough to carry the load.

The next sentence of 210.19(A)(1) says
Where a branch circuit supplies continuous loads...the minimum branch circuit conductor size, before the application of any adjustment or correction factors, shall have an allowable ampacity of not less than...125% of the continuous load

In this case 16*1.25=20. The conductor that has an allowable ampacity of at least 20 is #14 AWG. (But of course 240.4(D) does not allow #14 on a 20A c/b, so #12 would be the smallest allowable conductor size.)

So my 8 CCC's which are #12 THWN-2, in a 115 degree ambient have an ampacity 17.2, which is large enough to carry the load, and is not smaller than the minimum required conductor size. I meet both conditions of 210.19(A)(1)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

The actual load on each circuit is 16Amps. So a conductor with an ampacity of 17.2 is large enough to carry the load.

The next sentence of 210.19(A)(1) says

In this case 16*1.25=20. The conductor that has an allowable ampacity of at least 20 is #14 AWG. (But of course 240.4(D) does not allow #14 on a 20A c/b, so #12 would be the smallest allowable conductor size.)

So my 8 CCC's which are #12 THWN-2, in a 115 degree ambient have an ampacity 17.2, which is large enough to carry the load, and is not smaller than the minimum required conductor size. I meet both conditions of 210.19(A)(1)

You would also need to apply 240.4(B) to use the 20 amp OCPD on a conductor with an adjusted amapcity of 17.2 amps.

And of course assuming the length of the multi-wire branch circuits is less than ~ 116' to accommodate voltage drop. (Using information from Ch 9 Table 8 and not adjusting for lower ambient temp of rated resistance at 75 C.)

cppoly

Wouldn't it be 6 current carrying conductors? For (6) single phase 120V loads on phases A-B-C, the neutrals shouldn't carry current, only unbalanced current.

Correction

Correction

Too quick on the calcs....Voltage drop at < 3% dictates the circuits need to be less than 58'....

Wouldn't it be 6 current carrying conductors? For (6) single phase 120V loads on phases A-B-C, the neutrals shouldn't carry current, only unbalanced current.

The fluorescent load dictates that the circuit is non-linear, thus, the neutral must be counted a current carrying conductor (see NEC 310.15-(B)(4)).

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As far as I know the smallest THWN-2 conductor available is #8 so if these conductors are actually installed in a wet location they would need to be sized using the 75C column.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I don't think #12 THWN-2 is available. The smallest size THWN-2 I have seen is #8. Anything smaller is only THWN. Southwire and Cerro only make THWN-2 in #8 and larger. Maybe some other manufactures do?
Lack of a suitable product would be a "design issue". The NEC only requires a #12.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Lack of a suitable product would be a "design issue". The NEC only requires a #12.
If this is just a hypothetical question ok but if this is a real application you have to work with the products available. If the wire being use is only THHN/THWN (no -2) and being installed in a wet location you need to use the 75C column

Status
Not open for further replies.