Panel in Big Clothes Closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

I know that panels (or breakers) are not allowed in clothes closets. Are there any exceptions, such as in a very large walk-in closet that has the panel behind the closet - panel is at least 3 feet away from any storage?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This issue has been asked many times and the only thing I can say is it is up to the inspectors. I don't think it would fly around here but there is no reason that a panel cannot be in a clothes closet in certain places. I can see behind a door as being a safe place.

Some of the cmp members at our Raleigh meeting answered this question as I did. They felt that in unobstructed areas away from clothing should be fine.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Depends on when it was installed. Also in NJ the rehab code would allow you to replace a service or a panel in a closet.

kwired

Electron manager
Does a clothes closet have to be a room or can it be an area? If it is just an area within a bigger space maybe it is not even a closet?

We have similar issue at times with other open space construction, like a big room with kitchen "area" at one end or corner and a living room "area" at the other end of the space

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Does a clothes closet have to be a room or can it be an area? If it is just an area within a bigger space maybe it is not even a closet?

We have similar issue at times with other open space construction, like a big room with kitchen "area" at one end or corner and a living room "area" at the other end of the space

I did a job where the closet was about 20'x20' with a huge table in the middle. All around the perimeter the clothing was in built in cabinets so that no clothing was exposed in the room. The owner wanted a chandelier over the table and the inspector said if we got the plans change to call the area a dressing room rather than a closet as the plans had it then he would let it go.

kwired

Electron manager
I did a job where the closet was about 20'x20' with a huge table in the middle. All around the perimeter the clothing was in built in cabinets so that no clothing was exposed in the room. The owner wanted a chandelier over the table and the inspector said if we got the plans change to call the area a dressing room rather than a closet as the plans had it then he would let it go.

Clothes Closet. A non-habitable room or space intended primarily for storage of garments and apparel.

I don't care if the plans called it the kitchen, NEC has a definition for clothes closet.

electricmanscott

IMO as long as it's not in the vicinity of easily ignitable materials and meets clearance requirements you're good to go. Following the NEC you are pretty much in violation if you install a panel anywhere in a dwelling.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Correct with that one. Easily ignitable - by what? Lots of things are easily ignitable, if you alread have a good source of ignition.

IMO as long as it's not in the vicinity of easily ignitable materials and meets clearance requirements you're good to go. Following the NEC you are pretty much in violation if you install a panel anywhere in a dwelling.

I always use a propane torch to test for ease of ignition. I figure if I can hold a lit torch within a few inches of the front of the panel and nothing catches fire, we're good to go.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Clothes Closet. A non-habitable room or space intended primarily for storage of garments and apparel.

I don't care if the plans called it the kitchen, NEC has a definition for clothes closet.

Well, the room really just houses the closets. The closets are in each of the cabinets. The room itself could be defined as a dressing room and not subject to the NEC regs simply because the room is not the actual closet. Once the room name changed then the inspectors butt is covered. He understood that the space wasn't really a closet so he gave us and himself a way out.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Well, the room really just houses the closets. The closets are in each of the cabinets. The room itself could be defined as a dressing room and not subject to the NEC regs simply because the room is not the actual closet. Once the room name changed then the inspectors butt is covered. He understood that the space wasn't really a closet so he gave us and himself a way out.

The NEC only uses 'closet' in it's requirement as an example of an area prone to ignition. Re-naming the room does not exempt it from the requirement.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
The NEC only uses 'closet' in it's requirement as an example of an area prone to ignition. Re-naming the room does not exempt it from the requirement.

Agreed.

It is clear that the NEC does not want it in a clothes closet. What if it is in a brezzeway and I hang my jacket there?

In the OP this can apply:

By special permission, the authority having jurisdiction
may waive specific requirements in this Code or permit
alternative methods where it is assured that equivalent objectives
can be achieved by establishing and maintaining
effective safety.

I can see where it could be possible to have a panel in a closet, violating 240.24(D), but meeting 90.4.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Did you read my post. Tell me how a chandelier is an issue in the center of a 20x20 room where no clothing is in view but in cabinets around a room. How different is it from a bedroom with a closet inside the room. These cabinet have doors also. There is nothing combustible in the room so I have to disagree with you. Calling the room a closet in the first place was incorrect.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Did you read my post. Tell me how a chandelier is an issue in the center of a 20x20 room where no clothing is in view but in cabinets around a room. How different is it from a bedroom with a closet inside the room. These cabinet have doors also. There is nothing combustible in the room so I have to disagree with you. Calling the room a closet in the first place was incorrect.

90.4. That said if this 'closet' is on the approved plans the electrical inspector can NOT allow the room to be renamed. Only the electrical plans examineer can do that. It is not a field call to change anything on an approved set of plans, in Ohio.

Status
Not open for further replies.