Estimating Terminations/Splices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Do you accounts separately for branch wire terms/splices on receptacles, in 4" boxes etc. or do you build it into the device labor/material? Thanks.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Do you accounts separately for branch wire terms/splices on receptacles, in 4" boxes etc. or do you build it into the device labor/material? Thanks.

I use one recept, 3 wire nuts, 1 ground pigtail, 2 #6x1/2" screws, one bracket box and 1 5/8" mudring. Wire nuts accomodate splicing labor.

cdslotz

I use one recept, 3 wire nuts, 1 ground pigtail, 2 #6x1/2" screws, one bracket box and 1 5/8" mudring. Wire nuts accomodate splicing labor.

That's why I was asking about his software.
Your assemblies should have wire nuts with their respective labor unit.

ESTIMATING

ESTIMATING

Every one has a their own idea about which software on is best .For me a small 3 man shop Red Rhino works great. estimating ,job tracking ,and invoicing all in one and at $59.00 a month you have no commitment i did not want to spend 3 or 4 k and end up stuck with a hard to use program. try it you might like it http://www.hardhatis.com/index.html .

Strathead

Occupation
That's why I was asking about his software.
Your assemblies should have wire nuts with their respective labor unit.

Yeah, I figured, but the software I use didn't have the same assembly. It used 4x4x1-1/2 boxes with no brackets, and it didn't include screws, yet we use netpricer to get our material cost in line, so I needed to modify the assembly to better reflect actual material cost. I caution that you be careful of the estimating programs stock take offs.

cdslotz

Yeah, I figured, but the software I use didn't have the same assembly. It used 4x4x1-1/2 boxes with no brackets, and it didn't include screws, yet we use netpricer to get our material cost in line, so I needed to modify the assembly to better reflect actual material cost. I caution that you be careful of the estimating programs stock take offs.

True but most out-of-the-box assemblies are easily customized to fit your way of doing things. If wire nuts were not in said assembly, it's easy to add them. And labor them if not already.

Strathead

Occupation
True but most out-of-the-box assemblies are easily customized to fit your way of doing things. If wire nuts were not in said assembly, it's easy to add them. And labor them if not already.

What he said, and for Horsegoer, a Senior Estimator, or Chief Estimator is the one who should modify and develop assemblies. What we sometimes forget is the goal of an estimate. Which is to provde adequate information to determine the cost of building a job. Which in turn is one part of a bid price. The Chief Estimator has to get a feel for the work involved, the accuracy of the estimate and the other bidding factors to determine what to bid. In order to do this, he needs his estimators to develop their takeoffs and entry in to the estmatiing program in a similar way. Hence he should be dictating what assemblies to use and what is included in them.

cdslotz

What he said, and for Horsegoer, a Senior Estimator, or Chief Estimator is the one who should modify and develop assemblies. What we sometimes forget is the goal of an estimate. Which is to provde adequate information to determine the cost of building a job. Which in turn is one part of a bid price. The Chief Estimator has to get a feel for the work involved, the accuracy of the estimate and the other bidding factors to determine what to bid. In order to do this, he needs his estimators to develop their takeoffs and entry in to the estmatiing program in a similar way. Hence he should be dictating what assemblies to use and what is included in them.

True. The Chief/Sr estimator should be the gatekeeper of the program. He is the only one to make changes, add items/assemblies, update pricing, etc.
We would have periodic meetings to take input on new items/assemblies. When everyone in service, tenant finish, special projects, and construction are using the same system, each can have access to their own customized area of the program

Status
Not open for further replies.