Art 645

Status
Not open for further replies.

elec_eng

I am reviewing other engineer's work and this is a data center with raised floor that meets the art 645.

He has provided multiple runs of bus ducts under the raised floor with plug-in units. The plug-in unit has (2) 30A rated 10 ft long cords. At the end of the cord, it has a 30A receptacle that goes to the data rack above the floor.

Is this in compliance with 645.5?

elec_eng

I have 2008 and 645.5 (B)(1) states not to exceed 15 feet so I would say that part is ok

In 2011, 645.5(E)(2) requires that the branch-circuit supply conductors to receptacles to be in raceway or Type MI, MC, or AC cable. He is providing a cord. Am I reading this incorrect?

ron

Plug-in busway, actually busway at all is not listed in the list of acceptable branch circuit supply conductors in 645.5(D)(2). Also if 645 is not used to modify the main four chapters of the code, then 300.22(C)(1) doesn't permit plug-in busway at all under the floor.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
In 2011, 645.5(E)(2) requires that the branch-circuit supply conductors to receptacles to be in raceway or Type MI, MC, or AC cable. He is providing a cord. Am I reading this incorrect?

I had to read that about ten times, it was making me head hurt. Yes you are correct and then the cords can be run through the floor to connect

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The female cord caps are not considered receptacles. See 645.5(B)(2) where the male-female combo are referred to as "listed attachment plugs and cord connectors".

As to ron pointing out busduct as not one of the permitted branch circuit wiring methods under a raised floor, assuming the plugin units contain branch-circuit OCPD, the busduct is a feeder, not a branch circuit.

So, with the busduct being a feeder, and power cords being covered under 645.5(B), you have no branch-circuit supply conductors to receptacles.

elec_eng

The female cord caps are not considered receptacles. See 645.5(B)(2) where the male-female combo are referred to as "listed attachment plugs and cord connectors".

As to ron pointing out busduct as not one of the permitted branch circuit wiring methods under a raised floor, assuming the plugin units contain branch-circuit OCPD, the busduct is a feeder, not a branch circuit.

So, with the busduct being a feeder, and power cords being covered under 645.5(B), you have no branch-circuit supply conductors to receptacles.

Smart $,

I agree the busduct is a feeder since the plug-in has the OCPDs.

Are you saying this installation is code compliant because there is no branch-circuit supply conductors to receptacles?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Smart $,

I agree the busduct is a feeder since the plug-in has the OCPDs.

Are you saying this installation is code compliant because there is no branch-circuit supply conductors to receptacles?
Yep. Cord caps are not receptacles.

Keep in mind, that is contingent on the cord and caps being listed for the purpose, as stated in 645.5(B) via 645.5(E)(3), in addition to compliance with the rest of 645.5(E).

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Yep. Cord caps are not receptacles.

Keep in mind, that is contingent on the cord and caps being listed for the purpose, as stated in 645.5(B) via 645.5(E)(3), in addition to compliance with the rest of 645.5(E).

Can you clarify my confusion on 368.10(B)(2)?

__dan

This makes no sense (to me).

Plug is the male configuration, receptacle is female. Looking at art 100 definitions, power outlet includes receptacles and outlet is the point on the wiring system where the supply is taken to utilization equipment.

A female twistlock device clearly meets the definitions of receptacle and is part of the power outlet assembly. There is no difference in the definitions I can see going from a twistlok receptacle device to a twistlok female cord cap. They are both receptacles.

2005 NEC: 645.5 (B) applies above the floor, 645.5 (D) applies below the floor and 645.5 (D) 2 is for wiring methods "to receptacles" where cords are not listed for use.

IMO the cord from the busplug to the female twistlok is "branch circuit supply to receptacles or field wired equipment" and not compliant with 645.5 (D) 2.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
This makes no sense (to me).

Plug is the male configuration, receptacle is female. Looking at art 100 definitions, power outlet includes receptacles and outlet is the point on the wiring system where the supply is taken to utilization equipment.

A female twistlock device clearly meets the definitions of receptacle and is part of the power outlet assembly. There is no difference in the definitions I can see going from a twistlok receptacle device to a twistlok female cord cap. They are both receptacles.

2005 NEC: 645.5 (B) applies above the floor, 645.5 (D) applies below the floor and 645.5 (D) 2 is for wiring methods "to receptacles" where cords are not listed for use.

IMO the cord from the busplug to the female twistlok is "branch circuit supply to receptacles or field wired equipment" and not compliant with 645.5 (D) 2.
Receptacle. A receptacle is a contact device installed at the
outlet for the connection of an attachment plug. A single
receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact
device on the same yoke. A multiple receptacle is two or
more contact devices on the same yoke.

So, is the load end of a supply cord an outlet? Does a cord cap have a yoke?

Well it definitely don't have a yoke. Being an outlet is debatable, considering the definition of an outlet... but typically the outlet is at the source end of a cord, while the cord is considered the utilization side of the outlet. And this is for a hard-wired cord (no receptacle device or cord caps involved). Putting female and male cord caps in the middle of the cord run does not change the preceding. It is no different than installing a "yoked receptacle" at the bus plug and running a cord-and-plug from above to plug into that receptacle.

Why bring up 2005 NEC? What edition is the installation subject to? Let's stick to that...

__dan

So, is the load end of a supply cord an outlet? Does a cord cap have a yoke?

Well it definitely don't have a yoke. Being an outlet is debatable, considering the definition of an outlet... but typically the outlet is at the source end of a cord, while the cord is considered the utilization side of the outlet. And this is for a hard-wired cord (no receptacle device or cord caps involved). Putting female and male cord caps in the middle of the cord run does not change the preceding. It is no different than installing a "yoked receptacle" at the bus plug and running a cord-and-plug from above to plug into that receptacle.

Why bring up 2005 NEC? What edition is the installation subject to? Let's stick to that...

I quoted 2005 because thats what i'm under here and what I have for reference.

If the yoked receptacle were installed at the busplug, the wiring after that point is interconnecting cable or it would be the cord attached to the utilization equipment, not wiring to receptacles. Different paragraph applies. I do not see how not having a yoke invalidates the female twistlok cord end as a receptacle, it is still a receptacle.

Installing a female and male cord caps in the middle of the cord run clearly makes that an outlet point, especially if the supply end is hardwired, it would be part of the building's permanent branch circuit wiring. The point where the plug attached to the receptacle would begin the utilization equipment or the interconnecting cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.