Conduit seals to MCC panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecuinc

I have an Nema 3R Motor control center i am installing on a concrete pad. All the conduits are coming in from the bottom of the MCC through the pad. The area is to have Methane in the ground. My question is how would you install seal offs on the conduits and what type would you use? EYS's would be to tall to go in the bottom of the MCC.

Thanks, Robert

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is this part of the LA basin paranoia?
In Mountain View, CA at the Shoreline Amphitheater, built over a landfill, they actually had problems with concertgoers igniting flares of methane from the grass. They had to dig up the sod and earth, put in a denser network of perforated collector pipes than they had used originally and then put a barrier layer above that before putting the dirt and grass back. :(
But that was an unusual case, and I do not know if the electricians for the facility had to do anything special.

ecuinc

I had an inspector tell me to use what he called "Flower Pots". I have no idea what a flower pot is.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
He meant a sealing hub. It's totally useless BTW.

EDIT ADD: I should have said "If there's a real problem, it's totally useless; otherwise it's just a waste of money".

Last edited:

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Can i ask why you think they are useless?
Sure; an explosionproof seal on a non-explosionproof enclosure is useless. If the enclosure doesn't need to be explosionproof then packing the conduit with duct seal would be just as effective.

ecuinc

Sure; an explosionproof seal on a non-explosionproof enclosure is useless. If the enclosure doesn't need to be explosionproof then packing the conduit with duct seal would be just as effective.

That's true. I see your point. Thank you

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.