"Dry Cabin"

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)

Question #1 - No, it is not a dwelling unit.

Question #2 - If no service was requested/applied for, the AHJ would have no reason to say or do anything. AHJ, meaning "electrical".
If the area, including rural areas, had a building code, then they might have some say into the structure. If no intent/purpose of use was submitted, I suppose they (building official) would be forced to define the structure after it was built.
Bill -
Thanks for the response. As I mentioned to Gregg, electrical is either on-grid, or generation for the questions to make any sense.

As for stating the intent/purpose, it is as stated in post 1 - "Normal Home", except no pressure water, so no sanitation (defined as toilet).

ice

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Right now as it stands the cabin would not have a listing under IRC and it does not qualify to be considerd under IBC. Since it is off the grid, a well could provide the water and a generator could provide the electric. Cooking could be provided in a number of ways. Depending on the actual location it may not fall under any jurisdiction other than the owner.

Gregg

Please tell me why this 'cabin' if used for a single family dwelling (assuming a code is in place) would not fall under the IRC?

I have assumed from the OP that this is and would be a dwelling. I mean someone intends to 'live' there.

Now this is Ohio but it is ICC based.

101.2 Scope.

The provisions of the ?Residential Code of Ohio for One-, Two- and Three-Family Dwellings? shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, maintenance, removal and demolition of every residential building or structure, any appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings or structures, or any accessory structures. No building or its equipment or accessories, to which the rules of the board apply shall be erected, constructed or installed, except in conformity with the rules of the board.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Gregg

Please tell me why this 'cabin' if used for a single family dwelling (assuming a code is in place) would not fall under the IRC?

I have assumed from the OP that this is and would be a dwelling. I mean someone intends to 'live' there.

101.2 Scope.

The provisions of the ?Residential Code of Ohio for One-, Two- and Three-Family Dwellings? shall apply to the construction, alteration, movement, enlargement, replacement, repair, equipment, use and occupancy, location, maintenance, removal and demolition of every residential building or structure, any appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings or structures, or any accessory structures. No building or its equipment or accessories, to which the rules of the board apply shall be erected, constructed or installed, except in conformity with the rules of the board.

where do they define residence? perhaps the definition of residence would not include a cabin as is being described.

having said that, there are probably zoning codes in most incorporated areas that would prohibit that type of structure from being built. in my village, I can't even build a shed over 100 SF without a permit. not real long ago, a village a few miles away cited a guy because they claimed the tree house he built for his kid was in violation of some code. government in general wants to control every aspect of every one's life. just the nature of the beast.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
where do they define residence? perhaps the definition of residence would not include a cabin as is being described.

having said that, there are probably zoning codes in most incorporated areas that would prohibit that type of structure from being built. in my village, I can't even build a shed over 100 SF without a permit. not real long ago, a village a few miles away cited a guy because they claimed the tree house he built for his kid was in violation of some code. government in general wants to control every aspect of every one's life. just the nature of the beast.

Good question. No place! Here is the best that I can do. Funny that it is a Residential Code when residence is not defined.

They also say family. Not defined either.

RESIDENTIAL BUILDING TYPE. The type of residential building for determining building thermal envelope criteria. Detached one-, two- and three-family dwellings are Type A-1. Multiple single-family dwellings are Type A-2.

Call it the Dwelling Code? LOL.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer

IBC Section 302 Clasification will send you to Section 310 Residential group R ( 1, 2, 3, 4, ) Unless there is a municipality that the cabin is in that has adopted the IRC it does not apply. Ther are states that do not adopt codes whether it be IRC, NEC, IPC or any codes at all. Some local jurisdictions in a state may adopt only a certain section of a code.

If the cabin was in a jurisdiction that had adopted the IRC then it would be required to meet all of the criteria, to be a dwelling as previously posted.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Gregg

101.2 Scope.

If there was an adopted code in place it would follow the criteria of that code. If IRC was adopted either statewide or a local jurisdiction this cabin would be clasified as a residential R3 and would need to comply with all of the catagories of a dwelling as previously posted.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If there was an adopted code in place it would follow the criteria of that code. If IRC was adopted either statewide or a local jurisdiction this cabin would be clasified as a residential R3 and would need to comply with all of the catagories of a dwelling as previously posted.

just saying it does not make it so. what law makes a cabin into a residence that would fall under that code.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
just saying it does not make it so. what law makes a cabin into a residence that would fall under that code.

Cabins are built every day, and if under IRC the structure would be listed as a single family dwelling unit under R3 when all requirements have been met.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Again, just saying it does not make it so. What specficially is required to be considered a residence under whatever codes are in play.

As in other posts , the code defines a dwelling unit as a single housekeeping unit of one ore more rooms providing complete,independent living facilities, including permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking and sanitation.

If you where to design a structure and go to the jurisdiction that is in control of what can and can not be built in the designated area that you would like to build it in, you would submit the plans stating what the structure will be made out of and how it will be constructed,along with what type of utilities will be supplied whether it be independent or public. What you want to use the structure for and then comply with the requirements of the code, whether it be residential or commercial.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Again, just saying it does not make it so. What specficially is required to be considered a residence under whatever codes are in play.

It goes back to what I have said before. The owner declares the use. The building department if one, approves/inspects.

I want to build a zoo. Zoning or building says yes or no. They do not 'call' it a zoo, cabin, hotel whatever. I do and they tell me what rules that I must follow.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It goes back to what I have said before. The owner declares the use. The building department if one, approves/inspects.

I want to build a zoo. Zoning or building says yes or no. They do not 'call' it a zoo, cabin, hotel whatever. I do and they tell me what rules that I must follow.

so if I say it is a storage shed, is it a storage shed?

there has to be some where in the law/code that defines what constitutes a residence.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
so if I say it is a storage shed, is it a storage shed?

there has to be some where in the law/code that defines what constitutes a residence.

Yes. Correct. Now that you have called it a shed chances are if it is under 100SF or whatever is codified no one cares other than too close to a structure or property line.

Now if you move in or rent it out for 'living' then yes the AHJ might say that it is being "used as" a residence. Because you have changed its use. That does not mean that it is one.

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
As a matter of fact a buggy when by just after I got home.

Never did get the power tool thing. Must be like being kinda pregnant.:blink:

Amish come in two flavors. Strict Amish, and Mennonites. Can't tell from looking, but the Mennonites are much more relaxed about modern ammenities.

JDB3

In the small town (300 people) a couple built a new house in town. In their detached out building they had full bath. That is where they went for bath needs (yes they did have facilities in the house, but chose not to take care of business there).

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Thanks for the comments. It really helps to remind myself about how the rest of America lives. Thats important for me to do. If it weren't for you guys and girls I probably wouldn't even go vote. But, you are here for me.

thanks

I don't have any work coming up for the rest of the month. Rifle is already cleaned, tuned and sighted. Knives are sharp, pistol is loaded. Cold, wet weather gear bag is loaded. I still have to finish cleaning and pulling minor maintenance on the boat. With any luck I'm gone Monday.

Later

ice

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for the comments. It really helps to remind myself about how the rest of America lives. Thats important for me to do. If it weren't for you guys and girls I probably wouldn't even go vote. But, you are here for me.

thanks

I don't have any work coming up for the rest of the month. Rifle is already cleaned, tuned and sighted. Knives are sharp, pistol is loaded. Cold, wet weather gear bag is loaded. I still have to finish cleaning and pulling minor maintenance on the boat. With any luck I'm gone Monday.

Later

ice
I don't know where you are, but there are many of us that would welcome a few days of needing the cold, wet weather gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.