Class 2 wiring inside a wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

signpro

I have a Class 2 cable that is outdoor rated... sunlight rated... wet location (used for signs) http://www.paigeelectric.com/specs/9841814C.pdf
The problem I'm having is that the wall is solid concrete wall and was cut (Vertically to mud over and hide the wire).
Instead of mudding over the wire directly we took a section of 3/8" CPVC to act as a cover/concrete form (or chase). The inspector is not approving this unless I cut a slot in the CPVC the full length? so it would not be considered a conduit (to call it a cover) or show him something to convince him.

BTW...Years ago at another location I saw two 6" white PVC laid 3' under a driveway for future pass though.
and LT flex (120v) ran inside (with plenty of room to spare) ... the outdoor Class 2 cable would not be legal to run inside that 6" PVC?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Is the 3/8 CPVC an electrical conduit? Might be what he is getting at. You can't use plumbing pipe for conduit.

-Hal
is there any requirement to run it in conduit at all either?

I just don't see the issue here.

you can run it thru a drilled hole, but not a sleeve of pipe?

kwired

Electron manager
It is just a sleeve for physical protection, or in this case kind of a concrete form that will not be removed after the concrete is installed. If it were continuous from enclosure to enclosure and you used conductors that are required to be used in raceways or other enclosures he would have something to go with, plus you have a class 2 circuit where rules are even more relaxed as far as what is generally acceptable.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I'm agreeing with you guys, I'm just trying to find some logic to the inspectors reasoning. Probably time to ask him to tell you where in the NEC it's prohibited- like he should.

-Hal

600.33 (B) is the applicable section of NEC2011 for class 2 installs. Unless the wire is in a plenum or otherwise subject to physical damage (which I would think mudding over with concrete would nullify) the conduit/sleeve isn't required, nor is it not allowed. You are covered with the outdoor/wet/sunlight rated cable and how you are using it. I also would ask him to cite the basis for cutting a slot.

FWIW, we run into things like this across the country on LED sign installs occasionally with inspectors. Usually we cite the appropriate code sections along with reinforcing low voltage/class 2/12v etc and are successful with getting the install passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.