guess the number of marbles in the jar.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Scan.jpg

none of these panels are protected by a main.

so, the quote to fix it includes permits, fees, coordination with poco,
labor and materials....

moving to the back of the store, on the back exterior wall, proposal is to set two services.
one 100 amp single phase 3 wire, one 200 amp single phase 3 wire. overhead feed via weatherhead.

all existing panels to be removed, and branch circuits taken back to rear of building... 80'
or so. install is to be fully code compliant, and building shall pass a final electrical inspection.

in addition, 10 new dedicated 20 amp circuits are to be added. approx. 120' each.

work can only be performed after 6pm, when shop closes.
changeover is to occur on this sunday. day two of a 3 day weekend. it's wed. morning now.

t bar ceiling over entire occupancy.

i'm not bidding it... i'm just marveling at the price quoted. building is 60 years old.
no prints or as built drawings.

anyone feel brave enough to hazard a guess on what they'd want to do something like this?
my thought would be in the $14k - $15k range...... and i tend to shoot myself in the foot
swagging things like this, bidding low.

the actual quote would be under $10k, all in.
would you guys do this on a holiday weekend for that kind of money?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
How badlt do you need the work? I would make sure I could get double time on it. Knowing you Randy you have that figured in. For me holidays don't mean much however you will need to have all your materials- that is the part that is hard to do. Good luck

Fulthrotl

How badlt do you need the work? I would make sure I could get double time on it. Knowing you Randy you have that figured in. For me holidays don't mean much however you will need to have all your materials- that is the part that is hard to do. Good luck

nah.... i'm not doing it. i was gonna do it, i was standing there working up
a list of stuff to do it with, when two guys in two service trucks from a shop
from 20 miles away showed up to work up a price.... :roll:

it was a hysterically funny thing afterwards.... the tenant of the property
had called these guys without the knowledge of the property owner,
who i was working with.... so after talking it over with the property owner,
we decided to see what kinda number he came up with... after hearing
the number, and provided he was willing to own the whole thing for
that, my advice to her was to take his bid.

i've had one day off in the last three weeks, so this one is ok to let go... :p

i just put it up here to see what folks thought... just curious.

John120/240

Randy what are your plans for Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday of next week ? If things go

south, you are probably the lucky one who gets to straighten out the train wreck.

Fulthrotl

Randy what are your plans for Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday of next week ? If things go

south, you are probably the lucky one who gets to straighten out the train wreck.

nah, it'll be fine. my guess is it was a "gotta keep the muppets busy" quote. if he's got a
shop with half a dozen people in it, and he knew he had one of those bottom feeder trunk
slammer types that he had to get under. so he gets a job that fills out the timecards, i get
a weekend off, my customer gets a smoking deal. everyone's happy.

my first and foremost task was to support my customer. the money will take care of itself.
given the timeframe, i could do it if i had to, but he has more hands available at the drop of
a hat, and my customer will be better served by him doing it. especially at that price...

this time... :p i don't generally get underbid. you know how those trunk slammers are.....
if you have a van, do the back doors count as a trunk?

where the job is, the AHJ has two quirks that can bite a person in the tush. i don't think
this guy has done any work in this city... as a professional courtesy, i'll call him and
mention them to him tomorrow. if he does them right out of the box, without asking,
it'll go a lot better for him. no "one j box at a time ordeal".

i've had folks who were "competitors" help me out over the years. giving back what you get
is a good idea.

growler

none of these panels are protected by a main.

I looked at a restaurant that was much like that a few years back. The GC that was doing the remodel thought he was going to just leave the panels as is and I wished him luck.

I'm always surprised to see this sort of thing.....it's been there for 40 years didn't anyone ever notice.

kwired

Electron manager
I looked at a restaurant that was much like that a few years back. The GC that was doing the remodel thought he was going to just leave the panels as is and I wished him luck.

I'm always surprised to see this sort of thing.....it's been there for 40 years didn't anyone ever notice.

After 40 years it did not burn down - must be safe:)

Status
Not open for further replies.