Heart Failure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I have been asking for fault currents from the POCO for several years, more so since the latest code. Rarely do I find anything over 10K. About had heart failure when the POCO came back with 24,000 at the transformer on a service change we did a few weeks ago.

One service is 3 ph 4 wire 120/240v with a high leg, closed delta. The other is single phase derived from the same bank. Less expensive and easier to run the 2 - 200 amp services this way vs one 400. A spare raceway had been buried by yours truly several years ago, just in case.

Using MHs fault current spreadsheet, the single phase drops wll below the 10k when details of the secondary lateral are included.

Our choices do not include that for a high leg delta? Solution?

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

May or may not be practicable:
Replacing the overhead lines by power cable and having several loops of the cable at both ends may reduce the fault level at the service equipment within acceptable limit.

kwired

Electron manager
I think T.M. is on the right track, find out how much conductor length you need to reduce the available fault current to an acceptable level and see if there is a reasonable way to install that much length, or maybe aluminum instead of copper if that works, otherwise you probably need equipment with higher ratings.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Not sure what you are installing on the service end, but 22k gear is readily accessible and not expensive.
(especially series-rated) Most any run is going to get you to that point.

kwired

Electron manager
My calcs are L-L 8971 and 3557 L-N on the single phase. I was wondering how to calculate the fault current when I have a 3 phase 240v High leg Delta. That option is not available with MHs spreadsheet.

I think it will be similiar to what you would get with wye system.

Remember most of the time when doing these calculations you are assuming infinite supply capabilities, when in reality you must also know the amount of power that can be supplied by the primary source also. If you have motors they will contribute to the available fault current, magnetic vs non magnetic raceways make some difference too.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I have been asking for fault currents from the POCO for several years, more so since the latest code. Rarely do I find anything over 10K. About had heart failure when the POCO came back with 24,000 at the transformer on a service change we did a few weeks ago.

One service is 3 ph 4 wire 120/240v with a high leg, closed delta. The other is single phase derived from the same bank. Less expensive and easier to run the 2 - 200 amp services this way vs one 400. A spare raceway had been buried by yours truly several years ago, just in case.

Using MHs fault current spreadsheet, the single phase drops wll below the 10k when details of the secondary lateral are included.

Worst case with series rating, use a fused disconnect for your service disconnecting means and feed a main lug only panel that has 10K branch breakers series rated with the fuses.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Then simply post the values the utility gave you. Why do you need to do anything 'manipulations'.

With all due respect and taking into account that I may be missing the point (fairly common)..
If calculations allow him to install gear with a rating less than the POCO 24k available, and he posts the higher number it seems that would be waving a red flag at anyone inspecting or adding to the system at a later date.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
With all due respect and taking into account that I may be missing the point (fairly common)..
If calculations allow him to install gear with a rating less than the POCO 24k available, and he posts the higher number it seems that would be waving a red flag at anyone inspecting or adding to the system at a later date.

I absolutely agree, when you are trying to justify the use of equipment with a lower AIC, then you would want to do the calculations and post the lower results.

The worst case would be to ignore the center-tap and just treat this like any other delta circuit.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
I believe POCO gave him available fault current at transformer output, he still needs to find what it is at the other end of the service lateral.
You assumed one thing, I assumed something else.
The OP needs to provide more information.

kwired

Electron manager
You assumed one thing, I assumed something else.
The OP needs to provide more information.
I did not assume that he said the POCO told him 24,000 at the transformer, everything else he is after is finding values at some point beyond the transformer.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
I did not assume that he said the POCO told him 24,000 at the transformer, everything else he is after is finding values at some point beyond the transformer.

You, and Augie, both assumed the OP was trying to determine a fault current that would allow a lower AIC at the end of the service lateral, i did not make that assumption.

Hopefully the utility provided more information than a single 3-phase value of 24kA.
Generally, it is a mistake to treat a center-tapped delta like it was a wye connection instead.

Besoeker

FWIW, I had to do an ark flash calculation for our test area earlier this year to confirm what level of PPE would be required.
The fault level at the transformer in our yard is about 27kA. However, there is a cable run of 100 metres (about 110 yards) to the switchboard in our test bay. At that point, the fault level is below that 10kA figure.

I had contemplated the need for puting in line reactors before I'd taken the cable run into account.

kwired

Electron manager
You, and Augie, both assumed the OP was trying to determine a fault current that would allow a lower AIC at the end of the service lateral, i did not make that assumption.

Hopefully the utility provided more information than a single 3-phase value of 24kA.
Generally, it is a mistake to treat a center-tapped delta like it was a wye connection instead.
The POCO gave him the fault current at the transformer, that is not changing no matter what the OP connects to it. The other end of the conductors that are connected to it will not have the same fault current available unless he can achieve zero impedance in those conductors, so assuming he has to run at least 10 feet of conductor or so there should be some significant difference in available fault current at the load end of said conductors.

I do agree the POCO maybe should have given him more than just 24kA. They should have probably given him 3 phase fault (which is likely the 24kA), a line to line single phase current, and a line to ground fault current. And in the case with a high leg probably a high leg to ground fault current.

bob

Would you provide us with the details of the utility installation?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
I do agree the POCO maybe should have given him more than just 24kA. They should have probably given him 3 phase fault (which is likely the 24kA), a line to line single phase current, and a line to ground fault current. And in the case with a high leg probably a high leg to ground fault current.

It is extremely unlikely that the utility calculated the secondary faults for this specific installation. in most cases the utility uses lookup tables, for some utilities the value is a 'design level that will never be seen in real life (this is great for selecting the ratings of service equipment). There are some utliites that will provide L-G and L-L values for MV customers, although soemtimes we get them for 'secondary service' customers.

For equipment selection, based on SCA, there is no need to treat a center-tapped system any different than other delta. The big issue is open versus closed delta.

Status
Not open for further replies.