questions from master exam

Status
Not open for further replies.
these questions tripped me on my masters exam. any code references would be appreciated
they go something like this..

a 30 amp cord and plug connected hand dryer

a) 15amp
b) 20amp
c) 24amp (i think)
d) 30amp

you cannot have this with an emergency generator

a) emergency lighting
b) emergency egress power (i think)
c) fire alarm system
d) security system

8 sheds connected together can have how many feeders from house

a) 1
b) 2
c) 4
d) 8

more to come as i remember :)

kbsparky

Here's one I saw:

1) An electric resistance heater rated for 2000 watts at 240 Volts is connected to a 120 Volt power source.

The output of the heater will be approx:

a) 2000 watts
b) 1500 watts
c) 1000 watts
d) 500 watts

2) Now connect that same heater to a 208 Volt power source.

The output of the heater will be approx:

a) 2000 watts
b) 1500 watts
c) 1000 watts
d) 500 watts

this is my second time failing first time i got 60% this time 68%

I did see that question my first exam..

120x2000/240 = (c)1000 watts?

208x2000/240 = 1733.33 watts???

pretty sure i got that 1 wrong last time too :p

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
these questions tripped me on my masters exam. any code references would be appreciated
they go something like this..

a 30 amp cord and plug connected hand dryer

a) 15amp
b) 20amp
c) 24amp (i think)
d) 30amp

If this is asking what can the maximum load of the dryer be, it would depend if it was on an individual branch circuit or a multiple outlet branch circuit. The answer would be 30A for an individual branch circuit (210.23) and 24A for a multiple outlet branch circuit (210.23(B)).

you cannot have this with an emergency generator

a) emergency lighting
b) emergency egress power (i think)
c) fire alarm system
d) security system

I'd say d) security system. See 700.1.

I did see that question my first exam..

120x2000/240 = (c)1000 watts?

208x2000/240 = 1733.33 watts???

This would be (120/240)^2 * 2000 = (d) 500 Watts

and (208/240)^2 * 2000 = (b) 1500 Watts

Flapjack

Occupation
EE
If this is asking what can the maximum load of the dryer be, it would depend if it was on an individual branch circuit or a multiple outlet branch circuit. The answer would be 30A for an individual branch circuit (210.23) and 24A for a multiple outlet branch circuit (210.23(B)).

I'd say d) security system. See 700.1.

This would be (120/240)^2 * 2000 = (d) 500 Watts

and (208/240)^2 * 2000 = (b) 1500 Watts

Didn't check the code references, but these answers all sound right.

8 sheds connected together can have how many feeders from house

a) 1
b) 2
c) 4
d) 8

Is this asking how many subpanels can be fed from a main panel at the house? Cause I would say 8. I don't know of any limitations.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
these questions . . . go something like this. . . .
The way you posted the questions did not give us enough information to provide an answer. I hope the actual questions were a bit more detailed.

For your first question, you didn't tell us what the question was. You described a piece of equipment, then listed four amperage values. But what are we supposed to be figuring out?

For your second question, there is no such thing as an "emergency generator." There are generators, and some of them supply emergency loads. Also, I have no idea what "emergency egress power" would mean. The only egress-related component that requires electricity is the egress lighing, but that is a duplicate of the first choice. The real issue here, however, is that the same generator can supply all four of the items listed as possible answers. However, the items that are designated as "emergency loads," notably the first one on the list, cannot be supplied via the same automatic transfer switch as the items that are designated as "optional standby loads," notably the last one.

For your third question, I think the exam question's author was trying to push us towards the "one building, one feeder" rule in 225.30. But the question does not tell us what is meant by "connected together." Are they perhaps separated by fire barriers that would qualify each, under the building codes, as separate structures, thus allowing each to get its own feeder (making "8" the correct answer)? Are they being rented out in sets of two to four separate tenants, thus allowing each tenant to get a separate feeder under 225.30(B)(1) (making "4" the correct answer)? Do seven of the sheds require 120 volt power and the other one require 240 volt power, thus allowing two separate feeders under 225.30(D) (making "2" the correct answer)?

I really hate bad test questions. More to the point, I hate it when a person's ability to obtain a professional license is impacted by another person's inability to write a coherent test question. :rant:

Last edited:

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
For the first question, other info missing but perhaps (d) was the correct answer using 422.33 (C) rating of receptical.

For the second question I would look at artical 700 with (d) being the correct answer as it would be standby and not listed as emergency in 701.

Question three would be (a) looking at 225.30 with the key words being connected together and shed. A shed would be considered under IBC as an accessory structure use group U Utility and Miscellaneous are not considered to be habitable or occupiable so I do not believe that IBC section 706 Fire Barrier would apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.